Going bald for a good cause

Millikin University’s chapter of Alpha Phi Omega (APO) held a fundraising event called Hair Share on Saturday, April 20 at SPEC. The event was for hair cutting and shaving to benefit St. Baldrick’s childhood cancer research foundation. This is the third year APO has held this event.

Many of the fraternity’s members help out and coordinated the event’s planning. Anyone who was willing to donate could get a $5 haircut, or shave their head completely. Along with the stylist, the event included many other activities for students to take part in.

“We will have live music, bake sales and haircuts available,” APO member Lauren Acton said. “All the hair is donated in some way. Ponytails go to ‘Beautiful Lengths’ to make wigs for cancer patients and shorter hair is donated for oil spill cleanup.”

This year, the fundraiser is benefiting a young girl named Emily who is battling a brain a spinal cord tumor.

“Half of the money we raised sponsors her treatment and research associated with her cancer,” Acton said. “The other half is put into the St. Baldrick’s general fund, which sponsors pediatric oncologists across the country.”

Many people who attend this event shave their heads entirely in order to support those who have lost their hair due to radiation and chemotherapy treatments.

“Thirteen people shaved their heads completely bald, and an additional 33 people received haircuts,” Acton said. “Most people donated above five dollars to benefit our honoree, Emily, and the pediatric oncologists who are funded by St. Baldrick’s.” All of the donations go towards cancer research in some way or another

Along with collecting money by way of haircuts, APO also held a bake sale which raised around $150 alone. Attendees donated above the normal prices for items.

Hair Share also had live music and performers, such as Stephanie Helfgott, Julie Campbell, Kiara Colon and Phil Lopez.

“We had a great turnout during the event. We were overwhelmed with campus support for the event,” Acton said. “I was on a team at the event last year to help raise money. Although I was not a member of Alpha Phi Omega at the time, I felt passionately about the cause. I loved organizing this event. It was a lot of hard work, but having met the girl we are sponsoring, Emily, it was absolutely worth it. It is an amazing cause that needs more recognition.”