Millikin Sevice Learning Scholars to host a Relay for Life

main.acsevents.org

On April 12, the Service Learning Scholars will be hosting a Relay for Life. Kayla Lovel, the co-chair of the event, said, “It is a Mini Relay since it is the Service Learning Scholars first year to put on the relay for life at Millikin. We decided not to go the normal Relay all-nighter.” The event will be 6 p.m. – midnight.

For those of you who may not know what exactly a Relay for Life is, it’s a chance to celebrate survivors of cancer, remember those who have been lost to this fatal disease and encourages member of the community to fight back against cancer. The Relay for Life began in 1985 when Dr. Gordy Klatt raised $27,000 for the fight against cancer, by running for 24 hours. The event has been able to generate more than four billion dollars since its beginnings in 1985.

The Relay is in most basic terms a walk-a-thon, but there is so much more under the surface. At the walk-a-thon there is a special vigil that takes place which commemorates those who have lost their lives to cancer, those who have won the battle and those who are currently fighting off cancer. The vigil, better known as a Luminaria Ceremony, happens once the sun sets, where candles are placed in personalized bags that line, and illuminate the track. The bags often include a person’s name, a photo, and a special message. If you were interested in having a Luminaria for an important idividual, vist the Relay for Life website, www.relayforlife.org, and at the bottom of the page is the option to dedicate a Luminaria. There will be simple instructions guiding you through the creation of your Luminaria. There is also a Survivors Walk held. The Survivors Walk begins the event, by having all cancer surviving patients take the very first lap around the track as they celebrate their win in the battle against cancer. There is also entertainment provided at these events for those who come out to show support.
The music and other entertainment for Millikin’s Relay is still to be determined, but the Miss Big Blue pageant will take place at the event. The pageant consists of women nominated by the men of various on campus organizations.

When asked if the event was annual, or if Service Learning Scholars strived to make it one, Lovel said, “Millikin is trying to make a Relay for Life organization. I believe that the last Relay Millikin had was over twelve years ago, and the outcome was not favorable. The Service Learning Scholars are trying to make the Relay our big project, and hopefully it continues from year to year.”

UCB and Millikin’s Greek Life will be coming out to show their support, and it’s encouraged for all of the student body to attend. The Relay for Life is great experience everyone should experience at least once.