Jake Shumaker has Found the Luck of the Irish

Kemper Koslofski

The greatest 800-meter runner in the history of Millikin University is finding a new home. 

Jake Shumaker isn’t just going to any home, however. He finds himself landing in one of the most competitive conferences in the country, the ACC Conference. Shumaker will be running and finishing his academic career at Notre Dame, a move that is completely unsurprising, as he has been one of the most competitive runners at the Division III level throughout his Millikin career. 

“Whenever I entered the transfer portal, I was just trying to gauge interest and see if I even wanted to pursue my masters,” Shumaker said. “I was looking for an MBA program, so I was just looking for schools with a one-year program. I chose Notre Dame because of its academic pedigree. This would allow me to have a balance between academics and athletics, which I value over anything else.” 

Shumaker enjoyed the family atmosphere that Millikin’s track team provided, and this played a huge role in his decision. 

“The family atmosphere was very similar to Millikin,” he said. “Everyone on my tour cared to ask me questions to get to know who I was, which is something I was looking for in a program. I wanted the program to feel natural for my last year.” 

Shumaker is so much more than a runner, though. He is an incredible teammate and has had an incredible impact on his teammates and peers while at Millikin. 

Head coach and director of track and field Andrew Craycraft realizes this. 

“I can’t really take credit for who Jake is as a teammate here,” Craycraft said. “You just can’t find a guy who is more invested in the people around him and that is going to be a good part in his development at the next level. He’s such a wonderful kid.” 

Craycraft ran in the ACC conference when he competed for the University of North Carolina. He understands that the landscape of Division I has become much more competitive, but Shumaker is ready for the immense challenge. 

“He’s wanted to be uncomfortable,” Craycraft said. “He’s wanted to chase better competition. He’s learned a lot about losing this year, which has been good for him. He’s also learned a lot about winning.” 

Regardless of whether he’s winning or losing, Shumaker has stayed consistent in being there for his teammates, which senior distance runner Jessel Prabhu appreciates greatly. 

“Jake is a phenomenal leader,” Prabhu said. “He doesn’t focus on himself. He leads by example, and we can follow that. He is extremely adaptive as well. He’s fully committed to whatever decisions he makes.” 

Shumaker is fully committed to Notre Dame, and his commitment will show in his results. 

Notre Dame is getting a good one. Not just a runner, but a leader, a heck of a teammate, and a teammate who won’t stop working until the highest hills have been scaled. 

“I’m thankful for the support system around me,” Shumaker said. “I’m so grateful for the opportunity to represent my hometown and this university. I’m thankful for the supportive community around me.”