Poe In the Pit: Our Favorite Spooky Millikin Tradition

Poe in the Pit is a time-honored tradition in the Millikin English department. With a storied history dating back to late-night poetry readings at the Fairview cemetery, students and faculty alike return year after year to share in the spooky tradition of snacks, games, and poetry reading. 

The English club is holding this year’s Poe in the Pit in the CTD ground floor lobby on Wednesday, October 25 from 6:00-9:00 p.m. Millikin students from all departments can attend for free. Everyone is encouraged to dress up and compete in the annual costume contest for a chance to win some spooky prizes.

The current iteration of Poe in the Pit was pioneered by Millikin English alum Gwen Klinkey, who ran Poe in the Pit the last four years. 

“We always read at least one Edgar Allan Poe story. ‘The Raven’ is the one we have to do every single year. We’ve done trivia pretty consistently, which is a hit, and we play games, we have snacks,” Klinkey said.

Sophomore English literature and professional writing major Anna Quick looks forward to continuing Poe in the Pit as the new president of English club.

“This is a great opportunity for the English department to share what we do and to continue an ongoing tradition that people of all majors can enjoy,” Quick said.

Many of the English faculty also look forward to Poe in the Pit, having attended the event for years. Professors come in costume and compete against students in the trivia contest.

“The professors who’ve been doing it year after year are looking at us and they’re having fun because we’re having fun,” said Page Shields, a senior professional writing major. “The more into it we are, they meet the energy times ten.”

Beyond celebrating literature, Poe in the Pit is simply a good time. As midterms have come and gone and assignments continue to pile up, this Halloween celebration offers a chance for students to socialize and de-stress.

“It’s something that’s just fun,” Quick said. “It’s an opportunity to get into the Halloween spirit.”

More surprises may be in store, but you’ll have to turn up to find out! Support English club by attending Poe in the Pit this Wednesday from 6:00-9:00 p.m.