The student news site of Millikin University

Netflix Review: The Crown

Photo courtesy of Engadget

Photo courtesy of Engadget

Photo courtesy of Engadget

Rebekah Icenesse, Writer

A new series has premiered on Netflix and it is one to watch! The Crown is a ten episode series about the rises and falls of Queen Elizabeth II in her new reign as Queen of the United Kingdom. This series has been anticipated by viewers ever since it was announced there was to be a show about the current Queen of England. The series was just released on Netflix on November 4 and it tells the story of how Queen Elizabeth II became Queen and the difficulties she has faced throughout her current reign.

The new series is the second most expensive production Netflix has ever produced–the first is The Get Down–and I can see why. With all of the elaborate sets and costumes from the early 1900s and the filming locations, it is no surprise that it is one of the most expensive shows on Netflix. It consists of only ten episodes but it has been confirmed that there is a second season coming. The show was created by Peter Morgan and Claire Foy plays the lead role as the young Queen Elizabeth II. Her husband Prince Phillip is played by Matt Smith and her father, King George VI, is played by well-known actor Jared Harris and John Lithgow plays the bold Winston Churchill.

Without giving too much away, I will summarize the show. The series starts off with the wedding of Elizabeth and Phillip. With her father by her side, Elizabeth walks down the cathedral aisle as a princess who is about to have her happily ever after with her Prince Charming. Claire Foy embodies the role of Princess Elizabeth extremely well, and the dress looks so similar to the actual dress Princess Elizabeth wore in 1947, it could be an exact replica. After the wedding and having Charles and Anne, the pair moves to Malta for a few years and then comes back once they find out the king is having lung surgery. This may be no surprise, but the king suddenly dies and Elizabeth finds herself as the new Queen of England. The second episode “Hyde Park Corner” is my favorite episode because of how emotional and raw it is. All of the characters do a fantastic job at making the viewers feel sad and wanting to cry along with them. It was a sad time in history and that definitely came across throughout the episode.

Overall, The Crown is an extremely well-made show. The actors do a good job with the acting and making their emotions believable and they look very similar to the real life royals. The character development is great and the storyline does not veer far off from the real life events that had taken place. The cinematography is exceptional and the pace of the show is good. My favorite thing about this show is the different filming locations. Every location is beautiful and majestic and looks similar to the real life locations.

When I watched this show, I felt mesmerized because of how regal everything seemed to be. I felt like I was taken back in time and was actually a part of the trials of the mid 1900s. I have been interested in the royal family for a few years, and this show has definitely satisfied my expectations. I give this series a 9 out of 10 and recommend this to others. Historic royalty might not be for everyone, but for me it is more than enough and I can not wait to see what the second season has in store.