The Future is Now: Phonebloks

When we have phones and something in them stops working, we tend to throw it away. We could fix it, but doing so would cost so much that it would almost be cheaper to buy a new phone. Phonebloks has a revolutionary idea that could save our environment and our wallets.

The concept is simple; instead of buying a new phone each time it breaks, you could just buy replacements for the broken parts. The design is clean and efficient as well as stylish. The phone comes in three parts: the screen, the base, and the blocks. Each of these parts is independently replaceable. Imagine your battery won’t charge anymore. All you have to do is buy a new battery block, take out two screws that hold it together and replace that single block. Your memory is in an independent block, so if the base malfunctions, you can replace it without worrying about losing any information on your phone.

Another perk of this phone is that you can customize it. If you like to take pictures with your phone, you can get a special lens that is bigger and more memory for the phone, and get rid of the things you don’t need. If you store everything on an online interface, you can get rid of the memory card and just have one large battery pack. You can even customize your blocks depending on what you need.

While the company is hard at work, the product is still in the conceptual phases. The Phonebloks team is working with Motorola and Google right now to develop a prototype make the best phone possible. They are collaborating with different developers to get a wide variety of blocks for their phone. If you are interested in learning more about this device and want to see where it is in development, you can learn more at phonebloks.com/en/goals.