Valentine’s Day on a Budget

It’s that time of year again: Valentine’s Day. Time for hearts, flowers and teddy bears; love won and love lost. It’s a time for those cynical lovers to celebrate in their own way, with anti-Valentine’s Day events. But mainly, we tend to characterize Valentine’s Day as something else entirely, something far worse.

A money trap.

It’s not easy being in a relationship (or looking for one) during the month of February. You’re expected to make plans at expensive restaurants, buy expensive gifts and wear expensive clothing. All for what? One night that may not even make a single difference in your relationship? Maybe one date that won’t lead anywhere?

Of course, it could end up being the date that starts a relationship or helps expand upon it, but why spend large amounts of money for chances like this?

What the night truly serves to do is unite couples in a way they might not have before by creating an occasion for which they can celebrate together and alone. But the participants in this love affair still shouldn’t feel the need to excessively and impulsively make purchases they can barely even afford. And let’s face it, with most college students, spending any more than $30 should be carefully calculated.

So here we find the Brief College Student’s Guide to Valentine’s Day on a Budget:

DO: Look for more affordable restaurants, so long as it’s quiet, romantic and tasty, i.e. local restaurants, Olive Garden, etc.
DON’T: Go to a fast food restaurant. That should be the most obvious, but hey. You never know.

DO: Bring her flowers. Even if you pick wildflowers, she’ll love them. It truly is the thought that counts in this case.
DON’T: Buy dozens of flowers. They may be pretty, but they’re expensive and no college student has room for that.

DO: Get her stuffed animals. If you’re feeling artsy, look up a sewing tutorial and she’ll love it even more.
DON’T: Buy her a four-foot tall stuffed animal. It may be worth the money for the look on her face but there will never be room for that giant animal. Same goes with a large number of them.

DO: Exchange candy.
DON’T: Exchange large quantities of candy. We all shamefully remember stuffing whole boxes of chocolate in our mouths over the course of a night. Or, even worse, re-gift candy. That comes off as overly cheap.

DO: Dress up.
DON’T: Purchase an outfit you’ll never wear again just for the occasion. It’s expensive and pointless if you’ll never wear it again.

DO: Wear more makeup than usual or do your hair in a different way.
DON’T: Look like someone else or a mannequin because of it. Don’t buy more makeup than what you already have. Females are willing to share.

DO: Drive there and pick up your date.
DON’T: Walk or have someone chauffer. If neither of you have a car, you might be better off just having a night to yourselves.

Nevertheless, most of all DO have fun and be safe out there. Don’t get too crazy.