Women’s Fashion: Leggings vs Tights

Jeggings, yoga pants, sweat pants and more; what women wear on their lower halves is expanding. The line is drawn, though, when some of these options are being worn as pants.

In the younger years of nap time, recess and kickball on the playground, a mother would have never dressed her little girl in some of the clothes that college students wear now. Skinny jeans, form fitting tops and high heels that lift a girl a foot taller would have never been acceptable. Another controversial choice of clothing that would not have left the house would be the growing trend of leggings as pants. The problem when it comes to leggings as pants is when the difference between legging and tights are not known for those who wear them.

Tights, also known as nylons, are exactly that; made of nylon. The material used in tights is not thick enough to be worn on its own. Black tights may look like they are thick enough when they are on the hanger, but once they are on the body, they are not as thick as one might think. Tights can develop runs and can easily be torn because of the nylon or polyester material that they are made out of. Being able to develop holes so quickly is a telltale that they should not be worn alone. Tights are best worn with pencil skirts, dresses, and even shorts.

Leggings, Jeggings, whatever they’re called now, are generally made of a thicker material so they are not see-through. Leggings are more acceptable to wear as pants because they are thick so girls are covered. Some leggings are even made out of wool so they can better cover and keep a girl warm when the temperature starts to drop. Many girls will pair leggings with a longer dress shirt, tunics, and short dresses. Some will even wear leggings with a regular T-shirt.

If you are unsure if the label between tights or leggings is accurate, try them on. That is the best way to know if they are acceptable to wear by themselves out in public. If they’re in the paper packaging, find the top so you can put your hand inside and stretch it out. Don’t just give it a light push; make sure you really stretch it! If it’s see-through, make sure you wear something over them if you buy them. Keep everything a mystery to the public and make sure you’re covered up ladies.