The Future is Now: Cellphone Watches

Going back to the classic days of 007, Bond had a wide array of gadgets from dagger shoes to x-ray glasses. While this item is not exactly on the Bond list of cool toys, it sure seems to belong in that universe. In September of last year, Samsung released a model of a cellphone wrist watch. While it would be something to get used to, being so different from the handheld devices we use today, this is something that seems to come straight from a spy film or a science fiction series.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Gear is a paired device, the Note 3 being the standard handheld smartphone and the Gear being the actual wristwatch/phone interface. While wearing the Galaxy Gear you can keep your phone in your backpack or pocket and tailor the notifications you receive. If you receive a text message or a Facebook notification, it will show up on your Gear so that you never miss a beat. Not only do you receive a notification, but you can reply on this device as well.

Another nice feature of this watch is that you can receive and take calls on this watch. You simply swipe the answer button and can talk to your caller hands free! It is truly this feature that turns this watch from a paging device and into a full-fledged cellphone.

But what if you are walking in the quad and you see that perfect sunset that you want to capture forever, or you are in your friend’s dorm room and want to record them making a fool of themselves on the Wii? This Gear is also photo capable. Right from your wristwatch you can capture any moment at any time with little movement or bustle. Now you don’t have to call attention to yourself while you try to pull your phone out to take that secret shot of your friend dancing to Lady Gaga.

While this technology is quite fascinating, it is still way beyond the reach of a common college student’s budget. Still, it is great to know that such forward technology is out there!