Stay healthy this winter

As Central Illinois approaches the coldest period of year, temperature changes are forcing winter bugs to come out of their hiding places. It is a commonly known fact that individuals become more susceptible to illness during this time, but often physical health is given priority over the other two elements that make up the triumvirate of wellness: mental and spiritual. As this winter rolls around, use these six tips to spark your all-around wellness and wholeness.

Physical Wellness:

1. Shake up your workout routine. If you generally get your physical activity outdoors, the nippy winter air could be taking a toll on your muscles and motivation. However, as Millikin students we are provided with a free membership to the DISC, so an alteration in your daily routine is easier to decide upon. Already making use of your membership? Try out a new machine or new cardio exercise to keep your workouts fun and exciting as well as to make sure all of your muscles are getting equal appreciation. Why not try out the DISC’s rock-climbing wall or experiment with a couple of yoga poses?

2. Give your immune system a little extra love. Boosting your immune system by way of multivitamins or the popular favorite, Emergen-C, can aid in cold and flu prevention, but can be harmful if taken in extreme doses. Use them to your advantage and don’t over-do it. In addition, keep in mind that a truly healthy diet incorporates a variety of vitamins and minerals already, and check the produce aisle for vitamin rich foods before resorting to a bottle. If you do decide to supplement your diet, be sure to talk to your physician about it beforehand.

Mental Wellness:

1. Find your stress outlet. Each individual is different, but whether it’s writing in a journal, playing a musical instrument, chatting with friends or seeking out Millikin’s free counseling services, getting the junk and worries off your mind will free it to more productive activities. Furthermore, while it may seem tempting to snuggle into bed on those cold wintry days, be sure to keep up regular social interaction between yourself and others.

2. Get your dose of Vitamin D. Beating the wintertime blues can be a struggle, and it isn’t a wonder considering the frequent lack of adequate sunshine outside (or infrequent desire to be outside in the cold.). Frequently called “the sunshine vitamin,” studies have shown that during winter months, low stores of Vitamin D can lead to fatigue and muscle aches. Seek out vitamin D fortified cereals, milk and certain fish, such as salmon, to make sure your body is still getting the nutrient.

Spiritual Wellness:

1. Explore your inner spirituality. Regardless of your religious beliefs, take some time this winter to truly get in touch with your inner self, morals and values. The universe is a vast, mysterious place that begs exploration, and by clarifying these things for yourself you will be on your way to feeling in tune with the workings of the world.

2. Be kind. Try an experiment that involves treating every individual you encounter with true, heartfelt love and compassion for a full 24 hours and notice what it has to say to you. In addition, be sure to turn up your ears and hone the skill of “active listening.” When you have a conversation with another person, listen—truly listen—to what they are saying.