Professor Spotlight: Dr. Carmella Braniger

Dr. Carmella Braniger was born and raised in Ohio, where she grew up and went to college. She received her B.A. in English from Muskingum University, then went on to receive her Masters in Writing from John Hopkins University, and finally, her Ph.D in English from Oklahoma State. As an associate professor of English here at Millikin, Braniger teaches first-year writing and creative writing courses. She is very adamant about giving her students the opportunities to create and perform their knowledge.

Next semester, for the first time, Braniger will be offering a nonfiction memoir class. Because this is her first time teaching the class, she is looking forward to further exploring the genre along with her students. Recently, Braniger completed a new project exploring crossing the genres of poetry and memoir and is excited to share this mixing of genres into the classroom next semester.

Braniger loves teaching at Millikin. Here, innovative and creative teaching is welcomed and encouraged, which is right up her alley. To Braniger, “Students at Millikin are flexible and adaptable—they are willing to take risks and try new approaches to learning.” Innovative curriculum is one of Braniger’s specialties, and her approaches to teaching and learning have been recognized at national and international conferences. Her most recent project, partnered with junior Brittany Mytinek, is Millikin’s Premier Writing Contest in which Bronze Man Books will be publishing the first ever anthology of Millikin’s finest first-year writers.

Some students may not know that Braniger collects turtles. “When I was a little girl, I hated seeing big pick up trucks swerve to hit sweet little box turtles. So, I always asked my parents to stop when we saw a turtle in the road. It was not uncommon to see me skirting across Ohio’s back roads, helping turtles to get across the road.”

Winter is Braniger’s second favorite season. Reminiscent of home, Braniger says, “Some of my happiest memories are of playing and sleighing in the foothills of the Appalachians in Ohio. Those lovely hills always give me a rush!”