Tips to land that job

Interviewing for a job can be a stressful task, who knows maybe you have a lot riding on this one interview, maybe this is job is exactly what you’ve dreamed about doing or maybe you’re in some desperate need of some summer cash. No matter what your situation may or may not be, most respectable places aren’t just handing out employment to the first person that walks by. Getting a job is chore. There are some things you may want to consider before you even get to the job interview.

1.  It all starts with an application. Typically, the first impression an employer has of you is your application and job resume. Keep in mind your appearance when you show up to pick up an application. People are seeing you in the work place for first time, dress as if you belong there. Their job may look unimportant to you, but other people in the work force are just as important to impress, their opinion may be valuable. Dress for success from the start.
  2. So you’ve handed in your perfect resume and application, and they’ve called to schedule an interview. Express your gratitude, but save the happy dance and shouts of triumph for later. Be flexible when scheduling an interview. No one wants to hire someone who can’t be worked with, ask yourself what’s more important this job or going out with some friends?
  3. Oh boy! Now you have an interview, and that’s a little intimidating. The process of an interview starts before you ever leave your home. Of course, take care of the little things. Make sure your hair is neat, tidy and pulled out of your face. Employers want to be able to see you, they don’t want to see how many times you flip your fringe in 30 minutes. If you have facial hair, keep that nice and trimmed, maybe even clean-shaven. Brush those pearly whites; apply your deodorant, the real kind not a toxic spray. Go with some cologne or perfume if you like, but refrain if you know the scent is a little overpowering. Employers would rather not smell anything at all, than smell you two blocks away. Just be very hygienic.
  4. Avoid eating after you’ve brushed your teeth and dressed yourself. No one has time for dragon breath or a stain. You might like the smell of that onion bagel, but the person interviewing you won’t.
  5. Again, be courteous to everyone you encounter in the workspace. Your employer doesn’t  want to hire someone who is going to disrupt the harmony of their business, and again you don’t know what people’s opinions are worth, treat everyone as though they could mean the difference between you getting hired. Maybe even give somebody a friendly “hello.”
  6. Some basic things, a nice firm handshake, always make eye contact, you aren’t working for the floor, smile, thank them for their time. These are things we’ve all heard, and there’s a reason why we’ve heard them. It’s because they work.
  7. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Remember, an interview is your chance to find out more about the place you might be working at. Don’t think of the interview as one sided. You should be interviewing them too. If they don’t take the time to fully answer your questions in the application and interviewing process, they probably won’t ever. Asking questions also shows your interest in the job.
  8. So you’ve finished the interview. Good job! Now send a thank you letter. Ideally, you’ve already thanked them for their time, but a very brief thank you note looks respectable on you. Now you wait, right? If you sit around and don’t hear anything within the next few days, do a follow up, whether it be via e-mail, phone, or even a personal appearance. Always, always remain professional. Your professionalism and how you handle the situation will make a huge difference.