Professor Spotlight:Dr. Money

Dr. Robert Money signs his emails with a $ symbol. His enthusiasm in the classroom has made him quite popular among students and faculty on campus. He joined Millikin in 1999, and currently serves as the department head for the philosophy department. He is also engaging students outside of the classroom, serving as director of Millikin’s pre-law program, advisor to the moot court team, and advisor to the Theo-Socratic Society.

Money was born in Mobile, Ala. and spent a majority of his life growing up in the south. He received his BA in Philosophy and Political Science from Furman University in South Carolina. He then went on to law school at Emery University in Georgia.  In 1999 he earned his Ph. D. in Philosophy from the University of Iowa. Money is a big college football fan, which he accredits to the way he was raised. He enjoys skiing, both water and snow, as well as boating and fishing. He is married and has two children, ages 13 and 16.

Money was first drawn to Millikin because of the large emphasis on teaching, not research. He also loves that he doesn’t have to teach the same things every year. This semester he is teaching philosophy of religion, freshman seminar, and history of philosophy, but next semester and probably next year, he will be teaching a different range of courses, which are split up between the small faculty of the philosophy department. “I like teaching Philosophy because it’s discussion based and never planned. I never know what my students are going to say. Nothing is ever memorized.”

Money does a lot of work with freshman, as well as Pre-Law and Honors students. Each spring the moot court team takes a trip to Springfield to take place in the moot court competition, which is part of the Model Illinois Government simulation. Money sees this as “a good hands-on experience for pre-law students.”

Money encourages his students to “take advantage of their opportunities and resources. Take classes outside of the comfort zone.” He feels that a lot of students may not be taking advantage of all the resources readily available on campus, such as office hours and the writing center.