How to Over-Achieve

We all know those people who are at full course load, in ten different organizations, and yet are still able to have a social life. We sit here in awe and wonder: how do they do it? This week I talked to sophomore vocal performance major Abigail Karnes. Karnes is in Sigma Alpha Iota, a new member of Alpha Chi Omega, University Choir, Orchestra, and has the leading role in The School of Music’s Gianni Schicchi.

My first thought of what people struggle with when it comes to being able to achieve greatness is how one balances their classes for their major and the required classes they need to graduate. To this Karnes said, “My performance had to come first because that is my major and my priority. So, when I chose a gen ed class I had to make sure it was something I was interested in.”

The second ingredient to being an overachiever is not only being at the top of your classes, but also being in several organizations. When asked what her solution was to this problem she replied, “I wake up early in the morning so I can get up and eat so that way I can have the morning to be productive and I can finish my homework so I have time to do things later in the day. This also makes time for me to handle my evening conflicts.”

Now, being involved and having good grades is all well and good, but what about making time for friends and even yourself? It seems Karnes has a solution to this as well. When it comes to making time for friends she says, “I don’t procrastinate. Sometimes I have to say no because  I have to get my work done, and sometimes that is frustrating, but it’s a lot better for me if I can have fun without the looming worry of all the work I still have to do. In the long run, I think that’s better.”

But at the end of the day she still needs time for herself. Karnes says, “In the evenings I make sure I get a little me time to relax at the end of the day before bed. Even if it’s just 15 minutes, I try to make time for myself. And I always make sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep.”

So it seems Karnes has hit it right on the head. All you have to do is put your school work first, make some time for yourself and have healthy habits and you are off to a good start. Hopefully this will help us all to achieve a little more from day to day.