Best Jobs on Campus

Are you looking for an on-campus job? Many new freshmen want or need a job, but simply don’t know where to begin their search. There are countless jobs on campus, most of which can be found and applied for through the College Central Network Service found on your MyMillikin page. Now, you might be asking yourself, which jobs are the best jobs? Where can I get the most hours? Are these places flexible? Here is a short list of jobs that you might be interested in looking into.

First, many of you may see the students who are working behind the scenes in Staley Library. Working for the library is nice for multiple reasons. You get at least six or seven hours a week, which is not all that common for most on-campus jobs. You can also get a lot of homework done and you learn your way around the library, which is extremely helpful when paper season starts to arrive.

One of the most well-known places for student employment is as part of the backstage crew in Kirkland Fine Arts Center. Kirkland hires a large amount of students each semester and has a lot of hours to offer. However, because they hire so many students, those hours have to be divided equally, but most students do not feel as if they are lacking hours. The backstage crew is not the only opportunity offered by Kirkland; you can also work as an usher or in the ticket booths.

A well-paying job that many students may not know about is the phonathon.  Students who work at the phonathon get a good amount of hours a week and call alumni and parents to ask for donations for Millikin. Junior Emily Noffke is starting her third semester at the phonathon and loves it. Here she can talk to alumni and learn how Millikin used to be back in the old days. The nice thing is that students can make a lot of money working here because it is the highest paying job on campus. However, the hours are long, and because it isn’t work-study you are not guaranteed to be able to work on homework.

If you are good at academics and have good people skills, you can tutor. Here you have flexible hours and good experience if you are thinking about working in education. Whether you are working for the foreign language, math, English or the science department, tutoring is always an excellent choice. If you are an education major, you can talk to the Office of Education in Shilling to find out about tutoring children in Decatur.

And last but not least, if you love to write or take pictures you can come work for The Decaturian. The hours are flexible and well-paying. You can do almost everything on your own time, as long as you meet the deadline.