The perks of being awesomesauce

Being healthy is a key component of being awesomesauce. The concept of getting and being healthy is obviously broad, covering just about everything from exercise to sleep and food. For the sake of simplicity, let’s talk about food.

We are part of a campus community that is populated by many different individuals with equally different eating habits. That’s variety, and that’s fine. I would LOVE to tell you all that there is some magical, concrete, sure-fire path to always eating healthy…but unfortunately there is no such path. Like I said, we’re all different. A diet, method, or plan that works great for one person may fail horribly for another. To give an example, perhaps your roommate has a diet that she swears up and down has led her to lose five pounds. I know it sounds tempting but do not be so fast to jump into it. Do your research first. If everything checks out, go ahead and give it a try if you so choose. Be patient and do not expect it to work out overnight. Like any worthwhile goal healthy eating takes time. The trick is to find something that works for you without compromising nutrition or starving yourself. Don’t starve yourself, please!

I am not an expert on healthy eating by any means. What I know about eating stems from experience. I’m a taller girl who enjoys food very, very much. As a transfer student new to Millikin I was apparently under the impression that I needed to try every single thing the cafeteria was serving on a given day. By the end of that year I had changed my tune, much to the delight of the waistband of my jeans. I learned all about moderation thanks in part to class schedules. Even today, if I know that I am not going to have time to eat a meal at a usual meal time due to class or work, I will make sure I have some sort of snack to tide me over until I can eat.

Once again, starvation is never the answer. Think of your body as a car, with your stomach serving as an engine that keeps you going when fuelled properly with food. It’s not the most original analogy but it is accurate nonetheless.  A person cannot skip breakfast then work through a job shift or lengthy class session without facing some sort of repercussion. Eat something. Take a snack or snacks if you need to. Keep yourself fed properly, and your body will thank you. It’s more appealing than feeling emotional and drained of all energy, that’s for sure.

If you want to learn more about being healthier, especially in regards to eating, there are a variety of resources you can use. Look online for basic information. Browse a library. Talk to experts, like staff members at the DISC or the Wellness Center. Being healthy generally makes people happy, which goes a long way towards feeling awesomesauce. The best part? It’s all relative. If you’re happy, that’s all that matters.

Until next time, have a great week, and remember…you, yes, you, are awesomesauce.