Going Vegan: Turning leafy greens into crunchy goodness

As the weather is warming up (kind of) that means summer’s right around the corner, and we all know what that means: It’s time for all of the unlimited backyard BBQ’s you can imagine When you think of a backyard BBQ, what instantly comes to mind? Most people think of burgers, bratwursts, hot dogs, grilled chicken, etc., but since it’s summer, it’s also the time for all the fresh food you can think of. A veggie that is beginning to sweep the nation is called kale.

Ever heard of kale? If you have, then you’re ahead of the curve. If not, let me bring you up to speed. Along with broccoli, kale is one of the nutrition stand-outs among vegetables. It fights fat through its ability to mingle. Though greens in general are nutritious foods, kale stands a “head” above the rest. Not only is it one of your best sources of beta-carotene, one of the antioxidants believed by many nutrition experts to be a major player in the battle against cancer, heart disease and certain age-related chronic diseases, it also provides other important nutrients.

For a green, kale is unusually high in fiber. This helps create the bulk you need to fill you up and to keep you full for a good amount of time. Kale is also an excellent source of nutrients, especially vitamin A and calcium. With a combination of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients – kale is a dieter’s dream food.

So what does this have to do with BBQ side dishes? Well, kale is a very versatile food, being able to become anything your heart desires. You can put it on your burgers to add more depth than just plain old lettuce, or you can turn it into a delicious salad. What I love to do with kale is to make chips out of them.

Yup. You read that right: chips out of a leafy green. They are simply delicious and even more addicting than Lay’s Potato Chips: You just can’t have one. They’re also so much healthier than chips, which is the way to go to maintain that bikini figure. This is my favorite recipe for kale chips that I have found so far.

What you’ll need:
1 bunch dinosaur kale, cleaned and de-stemmed
2 tablespoons tahini
4 tablespoons warm water
1-1/2 tablespoons Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
3 tablespoons, plus 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, divided
1 medium carrot, coarsely grated

Here’s what you’ll do:
1.    Cut kale into 2-inch pieces.
2.    In a small bowl, place the tahini in tablespoon by tablespoon, and mix in the warm water until smooth. Stir in Bragg’s, chile powder, cayenne and 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast. Mix until smooth. Stir in grated carrot.
3.    In a giant bowl, or in batches if necessary, combine kale with sauce. Toss to cover every leaf with sauce and carrots. Then add the remaining 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, so that it clings to the leaves.
4.    Divide the kale evenly over two dehydrator trays and dehydrate between 105—115 F for 3 hours, rotating trays every thirty minutes or so and flipping the chips at least once until dry and crispy. Or, using an oven, line a lipped cookie sheet with a piece of parchment. Follow the directions for the dehydrator, but when you lay the kale on the tray, try to get it in as much of a single layer as possible. Heat the oven to its lowest temperature. Watch carefully and flip several times at 15 to 20 minute intervals, until dry and crispy.

Chef’s Tip: An easy way to de-stem dinosaur kale is to use a small serrated knife. Hold each kale leaf by the thick stem so the top of the leaf is pointing down. Take your knife and slice close to the stem in several downward strokes, so that the side of the leaf is cut off in one long piece. Turn the kale and repeat on the other side. The stems should remain intact and the leaves will be evenly bisected. Then stack the kale together and cut as directed.