Kirkland & College of Fine Arts Season Highlights

While the semester continues to ramp up, Millikin’s very own Kirkland Fine Arts Center has released its 2023-24 performance schedule in association with the College of Fine Arts. This article will take a closer look at just a few of the many worthwhile performances coming to the Kirkland stages this school year. 

Janelle James Oct. 14 | 7:30 PM

Many of you may know her as Principal Ava from the Emmy-winning sitcom “Abbott Elementary,” but she’s also a very successful comedian who’s coming right to the KFAC stage. Kirkland manager Bryan Diver is specifically excited as James is quite high profile for Millikin and they haven’t had a guest as big as her at least since the pandemic. “I think the community should really get behind seeing a person of her caliber.”

The Lightning Thief Nov. 9, 10, 11 | 7:30 PM, Nov. 11 & 12 | 2 PM

Adapted from everyone’s favorite book series in elementary school, this musical follows Percy Jackson and his trials and tribulations with Greek mythology. Everyone I’ve talked to is very excited to see this beloved story come to life in musical form. Musical Theatre major Elijah Gibson adds, “I’m excited to bring an adaptation of one of my childhood favorites to life…I can’t wait to watch everyone’s faces as we all make our discoveries and really fall into our roles.” Elijah will portray the character Grover in the production.

Vespers Dec. 2 | 2 PM & 7:30 PM, Dec. 3 | 2 PM

The choral Christmas tradition returns to Kirkland this year for a performance of reflection, rejoice, and representation. A chance for all of Millikin’s choral program to shine at maybe the most cherished and anticipated event every year for the Decatur and Millikin community.

NUTCRACKER! Magical Christmas Ballet Dec. 11 | 7 PM

For the first time since 2019, the world renowned touring ballet returns to the Kirkland stage. Centered around the classic “Nutcracker” Christmas story, watch as professional dancers and musicians bring the fable to life in front of gorgeous sets that were created by the same designer of Wes Anderson’s “The Grand Budapest Hotel.” It’s tended to sell out in the past so I’d act quick if it’s something you’re interested in!

All-4-One Feb. 3 | 7:30 PM

Hot off of their European tour, the “I Swear” group will grace the KFAC stage this spring.

Celtic Salute Mar. 13 | 5:30 – 9 PM

The fan favorite St. Patrick’s Day celebration returns to Albert Taylor Theatre this year with some of Millikin’s choirs as well as Irish band Broken Brogue. You’re also able to grab dinner before the concert at Doherty’s Pub if you so choose. Dinner and a show, what else could you want?

Marcy Playground May 11 | 7:30 PM

Closing out the Kirkland season, the 90s alternative rock group walk the KFAC stage to play some old beloved hits and also new material.

Overall, this season will have a fewer number of shows than previous years, but the amount of high caliber talent is maybe the most it’s ever been. Diver explained to me how their philosophy this year more than anything was just to “enjoy yourself.” They wanted to find the best and most exciting acts they could to go along with the school and student performances and for the community engagement to really flourish. “Since COVID, everyone kind of forgot how to go out and see live shows because everyone was watching Netflix…just come and enjoy yourself, get out in the community, be with other students, and enjoy the show.”

View the brochure yourself and purchase tickets at: https://millikin.edu/arts-millikin