Artist Spotlight: Sarah E. Kisly

Millikin’s Blue Connection student artwork store hosted an “After 5 Live” event in coordination with the Decatur Area Arts Council gallery walk on Friday, Feb 7. In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, the event titled “sweet heARTS” featured the artwork of junior studio art major Sarah Kisly. The works of other Millikin students were also on display and available for purchase to the Decatur community.

“[The show] was unreal,” Kisly said, “I was so overwhelmed by how terrific everything looked, and by how much so many people had helped me – not only to make this show a reality, but to help me to get where I am as an artist.”

While the show focused primarily on her mastery of ceramics, a collection of Kisly’s drawings and paintings were also on display. No matter the medium, Kisly succeeds in bringing a genuine earthiness and compassion to her work.

“My art is inspired by the natural world, but it springs from an inner joy, which I hope to share with viewers and so bring beauty and peace to their lives,” Kisly said “For me, art is not only a process by which to express what lies in my own soul; it is a way to reach others and remind them of what is good.”

Although she began her career at Millikin pursuing art therapy, Kisly discovered during her sophomore year that her passion laid in the true creation of the artwork itself. With the support of her professors, she followed her instinct and adjusted her major to suit her true calling.

“My favorite part is discovering something new,” Kisly said, “a technique, a way to utilize color, a medium, a strategy for throwing pottery – and then seeing where that can lead.  Every experiment, successful or not, results in learning something.”

While her future plans are not yet certain, Kisly hopes to attend graduate school for ceramics, illustration or art history and to someday travel abroad to experience other art-rich cultures.

Regardless of her final choice of concentration, her talent, will, and quest for truth in art will make her known as one of Millikin’s best.

“Art is an enigma,” Kisly said, “It means something different to all artists, and at the same time, unites and connects them to each other and the world around them. I believe our gifts are to be both cherished and shared, and creating art is a way to give back and be thankful for the abilities I have so generously been given.”