Thor: The Dark World

The most succinct way to review “Thor: The Dark World” is to say simply that Marvel has done it again. The second in the line of Thor films (though it feels like the third after “The Avengers”) is a brilliant addition to Marvel’s cinematic universe, which is in itself an impressive accomplishment.

Though the pacing of the plot is rather jumbled—one is never sure when the big finale is coming and indeed mistakes its coming several times before it actually arrives. it’s also easy to get lost in the science of it all. But the audience is enticed into not caring about either aspect, because of the shining performances from all players, none more so than Chris Hemsworth, its lead, and Tom Hiddleston, who plays the series’ most popular character, Loki.

Loki’s incredible popularity is in no small part due to Hiddleston’s performances and in “Thor: The Dark World” and it’s easy to see why. Hiddleston portrays Loki’s new self-possession without losing the manic edge to his grin and his attention to small details—a squeeze of the hand at the sight of his brother, a look in his eye in between his signature mind games—is incredible.

Hemsworth’s performance lives up to his costars with vigor. This film boasts a much more mature and driven Thor than the first, but Hemsworth still keeps hold of Thor’s characteristic boyish smile in heated battles and his general zest despite the weight of the nine realms that rests upon his hammer. The character is simultaneously recognizable and unrecognizable with a balance equal to Loki’s, which the film itself acknowledges. Hemsworth’s chemistry with Hiddleston is one of the film’s biggest assets and it accordingly makes unhesitating use of it. The brothers snip and quip at each other like siblings do, turning the relationship with the mass-murdering god of mischief and the brother he betrayed into an essential and compelling part of the film’s heart.

Natalie Portman’s character is meant to make up the rest of the film’s emotional tie to the audience, but unfortunately, and not due to Portman in any way, this falls a little short. Jane, Portman’s character, is simply along for the ride most of the time. However, in the end, Jane is a brilliant scientist whose brains are put to good use. There’s certainly no cause for complaint about the onscreen kisses between her and Thor, as Portman and Hemsworth make a great pair— even if the film is trying a bit too hard to make the audience invested in a love story that’s woefully underdeveloped.

With that exception, the film makes the most of its components, including an increased interest in Loki’s magic, more attention paid to Thor’s hammer, and most notably the significantly heightened visual treatment of Asgard. The film never misses an opportunity to show off the ruling realm’s splendor and in that way, to embrace quiet cultural differences between Asgard and Earth. Asgard as a whole is made much more real to the audience than in the previous films with CGI used to great effect and without (obvious) blemish to create a wondrous place full of grandeur and otherworldliness.

If “Thor: The Dark World” is indicative of the quality of “The Avengers” sequels (not discounting “Iron Man 3”), “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” should be a fantastic film, if the audience can stand to wait for it.