Movie Review: Carrie

Fans are raving about the recent remake of Steven King’s “Carrie.” On the other hand, critics, comparing it to the classic 1976 version of the film, are unhappy with the outcome of the new movie. Ultimately, the remake is more of a re-telling, which doesn’t change the story line much at all. There are subtle differences throughout the new movie, but only enough to make it tasteful for the current generation. It is hard to replace Sissy Spacek in the role of “Carrie,” but Chloe Grace Moretz did a wonderful job of keeping it heartfelt and still incredibly creepy when the time came.

The original “Carrie” is famous for its girl’s locker room nude scene. Though nothing can be quite as impactful as a terrified Sissy Spacek being pelted with tampons and sanitary napkins, the 2013 remake keeps the high school girls covered. They are high school girls, after all.

There is quite a bit of time difference between the book, original movie, and the 2013 remake; which also means technology has advanced in a lot of ways. The remake takes into account many of these time and technology differences by adding in the use of cell phones and YouTube. Her research for her “powers” is exemplified to a much higher degree, which in turn makes “Carrie” a little more self-confident and brave when standing up to her mother or her peers.

With the ongoing bully crisis it comes as no surprise that “Carrie” would put bullying front and center this time around. Bullying was always an underlying theme in the original, but this time the use of technology pushed bullying to a level that we can relate to. The well-known locker room scene is the first to push outside the lines with technology. Terrified Carrie is recorded on someone’s cellphone, which we know would be part of this specific scene if it were real life. The video goes viral around the school, much like today, and now everyone in the community has seen it. In this way, Kimberly Pierce is really taking a stance on bullying inside and outside of schools.

Even though this changes a bit from the Steven King’s original, critics are saying that overall this movie is much closer to the book than the original movie. The time stamp has been changed, but the overall story continues to be the same. This new movie even clarifies some confusing aspects about the original movie.