The Rocky Horror Picture Show: coming back strong

The 1975 critically acclaimed British musical comedy horror film, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, faced its eighth shadow cast at the Avon Theater at midnight last Friday, October 26 and Saturday, October 27.

Rocky Horror at the Avon, an annual event consisting of a shadow cast over a film complete with prop bags and suggestive shouting, has been a Decatur tradition for roughly seven years now. Skip Huston, the owner of the Avon Theater says that it is the best draw of the year, bringing in 600-700 people per night.

“I think the shadow cast is what makes the difference. Other theaters are playing Rocky, but it’s just a movie up there,” Huston says. “It’s the shadow cast that really does it, because it’s live on our stage and on our screen.”

Being within close proximity to Millikin’s campus certainly doesn’t hurt at all either. Not only does the Avon get a large crowd of Millikin students for this event, but they are also able to utilize theatre majors for the shadow cast actors.

Dana Anderson, a senior theatre major who served as both director and actress (Magenta), was involved with the show her sophomore year. After missing the show last year due to a hiatus in London, Anderson was given the opportunity to direct the show that she calls her ‘baby.’

“I love the freedom of expression and just the weirdness and how it’s so acceptable to be completely out there. We don’t get the chance to be bizarre nearly enough and not be judged for it,” Anderson says. “This is our moment, where it’s cool to be bizarre. I’m just glad that we get this night to be unofficial and awesome.”

Year after the year, the Avon puts on a show that is just this: bizarre and awesome. Ryan Hickey, a sophomore acting major, was granted the opportunity to participate in this event for the first time as Eddie and Dr. Everett V. Scott. Hickey, like Anderson, will spend the first semester of his junior year in London. However, he still plans on staying involved with the program upon his arrival.

“It’s so much fun to see everyone come dressed up and have a good time,” Hickey says. “Rocky Horror is, well, I think its tagline should be ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Avon: drunk and drag.’ That’s all you really need to know.”

Many people show up at the Avon with at least one part of this tagline. Others show up to watch individuals displaying parts of this tagline. Either way, the event-goers bring the best they have to offer, be it fancy dress or flamboyant demeanor. Regardless of typical taste, the Rocky Horror Picture Show is a time to relax, show off your wild side, and just enjoy life.

With the tradition expected to endure so long as the Avon lives, students can continue to enjoy the wild parts of life.

Trust me, ladies and gentlemen, this is never a show you want to miss.