The City of Bones by Cassandra Claire

City of Bones cover

Four stars

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she doesn’t expect to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing — not even a smear of blood — to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare’s ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

Now the motion picture that came out in August “The City of Bones” has already proven that it can play with the major novels of the time. Though if you ask any English major, they will give you the honest truth about these movie adaptations. There isn’t a movie out there that is as good as the book. The City of Bones is no exception, from the first page you are transported into a world of demons, vampires and everything else that goes boo in the night.

You follow Clary as she discovers that not everything is what it seems, that what she has been told to believe isn’t true and that her past isn’t as normal as she thought it was. Her future is about to become a lot more complicated than just getting through high school unscathed. If you like, the undead and creepy, with romance and great cliffhangers The City of Bones is a great book to read.