Divergent by Veronica Roth

4 ½ stars

In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular
virtue–Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless  (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On
an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For
Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being whom she really is–she can’t have both. Therefore, she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

These days there are so many cookie-cutter plots that finding a good, well-written story that you can fall in love with like most did when they were 11 and read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and hoped and prayed the next book would come out soon. Divergent is a well-known book, but as of late too many people have never heard of it. Read it before the hype of the movie comes about or it will be ruined for you. From beginning to end, the book keeps you captivated and surprised, and if you become addicted like so many people have, the second will leave you completely annoyed with the end. Roth takes you on an amazing journey through the ruins of Chicago with Tris and her journey to figure out where she belongs and what she is going to do with her status as Divergent.