Favorite Movies with the Faculty

The faculty members at Millikin University cover a wide variety of personalities and types. Their favorite movies vary just as much. While reading through all of their favorite movies, it was hard to find any similarities, which was the goal at first. Therefore, a different approach had to be taken. With this being said, here are some awards to go out to faculty members for their choice in favorite movies.

The Most Predictable Favorite Movie Award goes to Dr. Samuel Galewsky for his favorite movie being Avatar. Since Galewsky is an Assistant Professor in Cell and Molecular Biology, his favorite movie being Avatar makes a lot of sense.

“I love the fact that the entire planet is connected in a biochemical network and it is rich in unobtanium,” Galewsky said. Spoken like a true biology fan.

The next award is the Most Childlike Favorite Movie Award; which goes to Assistant Professor of Biology, Dr. Travis Wilcoxen, for his favorite movie, The Goonies

“It embodies everything I loved about being a kid, turning every activity into an adventure, and it still reminds me to occasionally act that way,” Wilcoxen said.

The Most Interesting Favorite Movie Award goes to Dr. Angela Doehring, professor in the Exercise Science and Sport department. Doehring won this award simply because when asked what her favorite movie was she gave the TV show, Band of Brothers.

“I love World War II genre films. My Grandfather was killed in the War and I really enjoy learning about that time period. I also love this series because it follows the real story of different World War II veterans, the relationships between the troops, and what they had to endure. With this population dying so rapidly, we can’t forget the World War II veterans that fought for America and why they did so,” Doehring said.

The Longest Movie Award goes to Associate Professor of Theater, Denise Myers. The movie she chose was Les Enfants du Paradis, also known as Children of Paradise. This movie, at three hours and nine minutes, is the longest of all the other movies chosen.

The last award for this issue of the Decturian is the Oldest Movie Award. This award is given to Professor of Mathematics, Dr. James Rauff. His movie, Casablanca, was released in 1942 and was the oldest movie of all the others chosen.