Pipe Dreams announces 2013-2014 season

For those you who are new to Millikin, Pipe Dreams Studio Theatre is a student run Theatre Company. Pipe Dreams supplies Millikin’s student with the wonderful opportunity to gain experience in the skills it takes to run a successful theatre company. Students fulfill the following positions of Artistic Director, held by Grace Barnett, Managing Director, held by Blanca Hernandez, Production manager, held by Tyler Hixson, and Sales and Marketing Director, held by Ashlee Estabrook. Pipe Dreams is currently in the process of finding a Development Director.

The space is what is known as a blackbox theatre, which is essentially a large room with no fixed seating. This type of theatre really allows designers to play with numerous aspects of the show, including stage type, seating, and various set design options. It really creates an intimate setting for the actors and audience. Pipe Dreams’ 2013-2014 season, “Mirror”, is about the pop culture we see in our society, and how we try to emulate those aspects, and how our emulation has both positive and negative effects on our society. The following is a list of shows Pipe Dreams has planned for their upcoming season.

Evil Dead: The Musical is Pipe Dreams first show of the year. The show opens on October 25 and runs through October 27. Evil Dead: The Musical is based upon the cult classic horror franchise Evil Dead, and the plot centers around five college friends who unleash an evil force when they visit an old cabin. What ensues is a very unique and fun experience you are sure to remember. Book by Christopher Bond, Frank Cipolla, Melissa Morris, George Reinblatt with music and lyrics by Christopher Bond and George Reinblatt.

The next production, A Queer Carol, by Joe Godfrey, takes an interesting spin on a well known classic. The show runs from December 12 to the 14, and is a gay modern day retelling of the story, A Christmas Carol, set in New York. While the show holds many new elements we don’t see in the original such as Marilyn Monore being the Ghost of Christmas Past, the message of the story remains unchanging.

Pipe Dreams returns after Winter break, and presents, Jersey Shore: The Musical. The musical explores what happens when the cast of MTV’s Jersey Shore, Snooki, Jwoww, Pauly D., Vinny, and the Situation have to live without their mantra, gym, tan, laundry, and life of carefree drinking and wild nights of partying. Jersey Shore: The Musical, book, music, and lyrics by the Chicago sketch comedy group, 4 Days Late, opens on March 21 and runs through the 23.

Closing Pipe Dream’s 2013-2014 season, “Mirrors”, is On Stars Not Falling. Pipe Dream’s final show takes on a much more serious tone as the season comes to a close. Scott Shallenbarger’s play follows a group of college students who drop out of college after a very traumatic event they share. The gang is reunited five months later at party attended by an unexpected guest. The play is meant to uplifting and motivational, offering comfort to those of us who feel so small and alone in this world.

Millikin students do not receive one free ticket for Pipe Dream productions, however the rewards of spending a few extra dollars and seeing a show in this venue by an organization entirely ran by peers is a very exciting opportunity. Tickets for Millikin students are six dollars per show, or semester passes for 10 dollars,ticktets for the general public are 10 dollars, and semester passes are 18. Tickets can be purchased at Pipe Dreams before the show. Come out and support your peers in what is sure to be another successful season from Pipe Dreams.