MDSO’s Labor Day Pops Concert

The Millikin-Decatur Symphony Orchestra will be presenting their annual Labor Day Pops concert on Sept. 2 at 6:00 p.m. in Nelson Park on Lake Decatur. This show will be MDSO’s 17th Labor Day concert on Lake Decatur.

Music Director and Conductor of MDSO Dr. Michael Luxner started the holiday tradition in his second year of teaching at Millikin and has continued the tradition every year since. The goal of the concert is to reach out to the community of Decatur, give back for all of their support and create a tradition in which families can relax as the school year starts and the end of the summer season begins to wind down. When asked about the concert, Luxner said, “One of the things that makes a holiday tradition is that people know what to expect and look forward to it, and this concert is no exception. We are delighted to perform light classics, patriotic, and popular selections for the whole family. We’ve been happy to be a part of Decatur’s Labor Day for seventeen years.”

The concert is a proper send-off for the summer season. The concert will last approximately one hour and is free to the public. It will feature pieces guaranteed to engage all audience members, young and old alike. The concert will feature Bizet’s “Carmen Suite No. 1”, Strauss’ “On the Beautiful Blue Danube”, Holst’s “Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity”, Anderson’s “A Trumpeter’s Lullaby”, which will feature faculty sololist and Principal Trumpet, Randall Reyman, Loesser’s Music from the musical “Guys and Dolls“, “Salute to Ol’ Blue Eyes” arranged by John Moss, “A Whitney Houston Tribute” arranged by Victor Lopez and Sousa’s “The Stars and Stripes Forever”. Make sure to come to Nelson Park on Sept. 2 at 6:00 p.m. to send off the summer with style.