Theater department gears up for the 2013-2014 season

Millikin’s Department of Theatre and Dance has released their 2013-2014 main stage season. The season was previewed in the department’s production of “Spring Awakening” which ran April 17-21. The 2013-2014 season looks to be once full of comedy, mystery, peppy show tunes and dance. As usual, Millikin students can receive their one free ticket until one hour before each show.

The first production will be “Tartuffe” by the French playwright, Molière. This show will be performed in Albert Taylor on Oct. 9-13, directed by Alex Miller. “Tartuffe” is a comedy centered on a fraudulent religious man, who gains influence over two members of the Orgon family. This play is a large contributing factor to Molière’s fame.

Next will be “String” by Adam Gwon and Sarah Hammond. The show was workshopped during the New Musical Immersion in 2010. Lori Bales, who directed a staged reading, will return to direct the production in Albert Taylor November 20-24.

The first semester will conclude with “Solstice – A Concert of Dance” on December 12-14 in Albert Taylor. Also known as the dance concert, this performance features works from both students and faculty. This is a show that is put on every year during the fall and spring semesters. In the fall, it is known as Solstice, and in the spring, it is called Equinox.

“One-Act Operas: Suor Angelica & Gianni Schicchi” by Giacomo Puccini will kick off the spring 2014 semester. Under the direction of Terry Stone, the production will run from February 13-16 in Albert Taylor.

April 4-6, the year’s big musical, “Legally Blonde: The Musical,” by Heather Hatch, Laurence O’Keefe and Neil Benjamin will be held in Kirkland Fine Arts Center. The musical based on the popular film series and novel will be directed and choreographed by Angie Miller. “Legally Blonde” is about a sorority girl who follows her recent ex-boyfriend to Harvard Law School in order to prove that she can be the kind of woman he wants. In true musical fashion, of course, she discovers she doesn’t need a man who doesn’t to accept her for who she is, as she comples law school.

Finally, the year will close with Stephen Dietz’s “Yankee Tavern.” This show will be directed by Sean Morrissey in Pipe Dreams Studio Theatre from April 30-May 4. “Yankee Tavern” is a play that takes place in a bar in New York, during the time of 9/11, and revolves around a man and fiancée who get involved in a wild conspiracy theory.

For more information about any of the shows, you may contact the Department of Theatre and Dance or the Kirkland box office.