SNL fave Seth Meyers coming to Millikin

Every two years, Millikin brings a comedian to campus for a hilarious evening at The Goodheart Event. For 2013, “Saturday Night Live” Weekend Update host and head writer Seth Meyers will grace the Kirkland stage on March 26 at 7:30 p.m. This event, supported by Peggy and Bill Madden in memory of her father William R. Goodheart has boasted such esteemed performers as Bill Cosby, David Spade, Jay Leno and Mo’Nique.

Meyers, an Illinois native raised in New Hampshire came back to Illinois for a degree from Northwestern University. After studying at ImprovOlympic and Boom Chicago Theater then touring Europe, Meyers gained the intrigue of Saturday Night Live. He joined the SNL cast in 2001.

Putting in his dues and playing multiple sketch characters as part of the regular cast, he became a head writer and the “SNL Weekend Update” host in 2006. As the anchor of this segment, Meyers satirizes of the news of the week with the help of ultra cultural caricatures Stefon, Garth and Kat. His delightfully awkward charm has also made appearances in the Brenden Fraiser classic “Journey to the Center of the Earth,” the “Valentine’s Day” rip-off/sequel/parody “New Year’s Eve” and the ultra hipster “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist.”

Probably most known for his lampooning of the week’s news, Meyers is more of a concept-oriented writer. Keeping up with current events and constantly finding ways to look on the bright side of news, this satirist keeps audiences hilariously informed. His intelligent, witty and sarcastic approach to the news, which many college students complain is “too sad, boring or inapplicable to us,” proves to be a refreshing and even intellectually stimulating way to think about the world around us.

Considering this, Meyers is sure to win the hearts of the Millikin student body between witty standup, recognizable characters and his irresistible charm. Grab your MU One Free ticket for March 26 and take a break from the daily grind of college work with Seth Meyers. Tickets for non-Millikin students are $25 and can be ordered from the Kirkland Fine Arts Center Box Office beginning March 14. Their hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 10 a.m.-5 p.m. or at www.kirklandfinearts.com.