Safety at Millikin

Ever since the most recent shootings at Purdue University, the question that has been on everyone’s mind is: Are we safe? Are we safe at Millikin University? It is hard to say when thinking about past events. After all, I remember a robbery happening close by Millikin’s campus almost three years ago where a man with a concealed weapon was running from the cops, or the shooting that happened last semester on Wood Street. None of those memories make me feel at ease, but I never panicked in those moments because at the core of it all, I feel safe at Millikin.

Say what you want about Millikin’s security, but for the most part, I feel comfortable walking around campus at night. There is enough lighting throughout the campus and a building close enough to run to in case of an emergency. There are safe rides starting at dusk and ending at dawn, and as far as I know, not all campuses as small as ours have that option. Each building has its own timer when it locks up and only permits the chosen students to enter it at night. Yes, having Shilling lock up at 7 p.m. when you are rushing to turn in a paper and forgot your ID is extremely annoying, but besides keeping you out, it is also keeping the creeps out and that is what matters.

Can Millikin improve on its security to make students feel safer? I suppose. There is always room for improvement, such as having someone work as a check-in in the residences halls to make sure that whoever is coming into that residence hall is either a student or being escorted by a student. There were at least three incidences my freshman year where I would see a stranger walking my floor without anyone with them, which was concerning because you cannot get anywhere in Dolson without an ID. Having a check-in would limit the chances of strangers lying their ways into our residence halls. But as for the rest of the campus, Millikin University is a safe place for students and is always updating its methods to protect its students.

Is Millikin University a safe place to be? Yes, Millikin is as safe as a college can get when it is in the middle of a city. Being 100% safe is unrealistic, but Millikin is as close to safety as we can possibly get.