Flex options on campus: Are there enough?

After constantly eating the school food for weeks on end, we need a change of pace to spice up our daily menu. Luckily for our campus, we are provided with the flex option. This gives students on campus different options to eat from so that it decreases the amount of actual money from their bank accounts they need to spend.

Around campus the flex options are pretty extensive. There are vending machines, Einstein’s and the Bistro to choose from on school grounds. Flex can even be used off of campus as well. Dominos and Subway are the two locations that accept flex dollars outside of campus. Overall, this is a good system with many options. But like anything, there are a few things that students want to see tweaked.

The first thing they want to see is Jimmy John’s be put back on the flex menu. Jimmy John’s is a highly frequented restaurant by students on campus because it is cheaper than Subway and it delivers. Many students have wasted their actual budget and unused meal swipes because they would rather have this fast and easy option over Subway.

The other thing students want to see is not really to do with a lack of flex options, but rather what they want instead of using flex. Many students rush to their classes in the mornings, having 10 minutes before class to spare and no time to grab breakfast at the cafeteria. Luckily for them, they have the option of Einstein’s Bagels.

Unfortunately, they do this every morning so by the end of September, they are out of flex dollars. The change that students want is for there to be a system like the Bistro where there is a set dollar amount that you can spend that will count towards your meal swipe and any excess will then be charged to your flex. Since this place is a popular venue, it would receive even more business on a daily basis if it offered this option.

For the most part the flex system on campus serves students well. It gives them different options from the day to day like it should. It really just needs a few tweaks here and there to make it what it could be.