Kidnapper takes the easy way out

Most everyone has heard the story of the man from Cleaveland, Ohio who abducted three women from 2002-2004. Not only did he abduct these women, but he even fathered a child with one of them, who was six years old at the time the women escaped their captor. According to huffingpost.com, this man, was found hung in his cell not long after being taken off of suicide watch.

Ariel Castro, who was convicted of 937 counts and sentenced to life in prison with an additional 1,000 years was found dead. His body was expected to be recovered by family members on Thursday, Sept. 19. A cousin of one of the young women who was kidnapped said, “Killing yourself, that’s not strength. Surviving it is strength, and that’s what them girls did, they survived it for 11, 10 and 9 years.”

Tito DeJesus, who knew Castro, said he wasn’t shocked that he took his own life, according to huffingtonpost.com. DeJesus said, “It was either he killed himself or somebody was going to do it. He wasn’t going to last long in prison.”

Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy J. McGinty said, “This man couldn’t take, for even a month, a small portion of what he had dished out for over a decade. These degenerate molesters are cowards. Let this be a message to other child kidnappers . . . you won’t enjoy the captive side of the bars.”

Most people seem pleased by Castro’s suicide, Elise Cintron, neighbor of Castro said, “He took the coward’s way out. We’re sad to hear that he’s dead. But at the same time, we’re happy he’s gone — and now we know he can’t ask for an appeal.”

Maria Castro Montes, Castro’s cousin told CNN, “Now he gets to meet his maker and, you know, the ultimate price he’ll have to pay.” It’s interesting that a man who was so used holding others prisoner, couldn’t bear the thought of being locked away. It seems like a cowardly out for someone who couldn’t pay for his own crimes.