“Finding Dory” or Finding More Money

movies.yahoo.com

Pixar has officially announced their next big film, “Finding Dory,” earlier this month. This film is to be a follow up to its 2003 success, “Finding Nemo,” which won Best Animated Feature at the 2004 Academy Awards. The film grossed over 3 million at the box office and was voiced by popular talents such as Ellen DeGeneres and Albert Brooks.
With the film’s success, it should come as no surprise Pixar is trying to cash in on more money in the realm of sequels. In recent years, they have made two sequels to their “Toy Story” franchise, sequels to “Cars” and a prequel to “Monsters Inc.” – “Monster University which is set to hit theaters this summer. The announcement of this sequel has come with mixed feelings from Pixar fans and fans of the original film.

In an interview with Ellen DeGeneres, the voice of Dory, she said, “I read the script and it’s fantastic, it’s hilarious, it’s warm, it’s everything that you want it to be.” However, fans do not seem to share the same sentiment. Since the announcement, fans of Pixar have been asking, “Why?” Sequels are so often an unfortunate endeavor. Fans are worried if “Finding Dory” is unsuccessful it may bring a negative light to the popular film. They also ask why because Pixar has produced several good films in the last decade: “Brave,” “Up,” “Wall-E,” “The Incredibles” and “Ratatouille.” Why the need to create on something that already exists? Dory’s character is such a likeable character. Many fans of the original are greatly looking forward to this upcoming sequel that supposedly takes place a year after the events of “Finding Nemo.” The story has been rumored to take place along the California, the original characters are set to make their return and a few new ones are expected to be released.

The film’s future hung in the balance. Co-Director Andrew Stanton said, “There is no Dory without Ellen,” and without DeGeneres the movie’s production wouldn’t have continued. Whether or not you want the film, at least the filmmakers have decided to honor Dory’s original voice by returning DeGeneres to the film. Stanton also included the information that favorite characters such as the Tank Gang from Australia as well as Nemo and Marlin. The movie is slated for release on Nov. 25, 2015.

Whether you are excited or not, “Finding Dory” will be coming to a theater near you. Who knows, maybe this film will be successful in the same way “Toy Story 3” was. Let’s just hope it isn’t like another “Cars 2.” Hopefully after this little venture down sequel lane, Pixar can get back to bringing fresh material for us to sink our teeth into and fall in love with. You know, the same way we did in 2003. Nonetheless, the magic of the original can’t ever be recaptured, and movie goers will want that experience of meeting all these wonderful characters for the first time.