Athlete Spotlight: Emma Hoyer

What is your major? 
I’m a double major in elementary education and English literature.

Any hobbies outside of sports?
I like to read, write poetry and draw. Other than that, I like to hang out with friends, as well as make new friends.

What sports do you play, here at Millikin?
I play volleyball and basketball for Millikin.

Why did you decide to play two sports at Millikin?
I played three sports all four years of high school, and I made a decision that I wanted to play as many sports as I could manage in college. Three wouldn’t work, so I decided that I could manage two. It then came down to the decision of which sport to give up. I chose to give up track and pursue basketball and volleyball.

Is it absolutely crazy scheduling wise?
I’m a double major and a two sport athlete, so things can get kind of crazy. I have to make sure I time manage well, and I have multiple schedules all written out in my room.

What are your goals going to be as you move forward throughout your freshman year?
I want to maintain a high academic standard. Ideally, I’d like to hold a 4.0, but if I happen to acquire a B along the way, it’s not the end of the world. I also want to just keep getting better on and off the court. I’m here to learn in all aspects of life, and I’m going to try and learn as much as I can every chance I get.

How did you go about choosing Millikin as your college?
Millikin was the first college to contact me in regards to playing basketball. The summer after my sophomore year was when I received my first recruiting letter, and that letter was from Millikin. After visiting Millikin’s campus once, I knew that I had found a home away from home. Coach Kerans’ spirit and my feelings about the campus, as well as the freedom to pursue what I want academically, allowed me to make an easy decision as to which college I was going to attend for my undergraduate degree.