At the Movies with Kyli Humm

Maker of Men, also known as Yellow in other titles, is a 1931 kickback sports film directed by Edward Sedgwick. This movie title does not quite help give away the plot of the movie, but in the end of viewing this film, makes sense. This film was released by Columbia Pictures Corporation studio and starred Jack Holt, Joan Marsh, and Richard Cromwell. John Wayne also took a supporting role in this film. The movie was written by Howard J. Green and is about a father, who is a football coach, and has everything going for him except the cooperation of his son, who plays on his college football team. Coach Dudley strives to make his players better men and shape their character, but when his son decides to let his team and father down because he does not like sports, makes him reject his son and hope for him to turn around for the betterment of the team and his family. His son Bob takes a turn for the worst and joins a rival college team in hopes of beating his father, but certain events help him realize his mistake and see his call to action for himself and his teammates to make things right.

This film strives to show the greatness of coaches and their desire to form their players into better people overall and to help shape their character and minds. There are always those coaches that athletes remember because they have made an enormous impact on their lives. Small and large actions of coaches shape players into who they are every day and this film is an early representation of a coaches actions, which try to shape a group of football players from boys to men with a few twists throughout the movie. This film was given 2 out of 5 stars for its great represention of a coach and his intentions of making his boys into men and impact the world throughout their actions. It was a little slow as it is an older film, which we are stuck on better cinema and outcomes of sports movies. Therefore, this classic is one to enjoy as an offset story from the typical coaching movie.