Millikin Political Science department shows dedication

Millikin University’s dedication to the academic success of its students is evident in the many achievements of its political science department.

Millikin offers bachelor’s degrees in two political science programs: general political science and government, and international studies.

For the first time, beginning in the 2013- 2014 school year, Millikin offers a minor in Political Justice to undergraduate students.

Political science majors must complete 41 credit hours in courses that give the students a well-rounded education with knowledge about politics at a domestic and international level; 21 credit hours are required to receive a minor.  The curriculum is focused on teaching students about the political world in both theory and practice.

The education received by Millikin’s political science majors reaches far beyond the classroom, however; majors must take part in at least one internship, ensuring that they graduate with skills necessary to succeed in a work environment. Students are also given opportunities to participate in various clubs and organizations aimed to enhance their education and ability to use their knowledge.

Model UN and Model Illinois Government are academic simulations offered to Millikin students; these organizations allow students to utilize knowledge and enhance skills acquired in the classroom in a fun and competitive atmosphere. The frequent success of Millikin teams demonstrates the quality of its political science program.

Millikin frequently competes with students from around the world in the Model UN competition, a simulation of the United Nations. A drawing determines which country each school represents; students utilize various skills in order to solve world problems from the perspective of their assigned country. Department head Bobbi Gentry is the faculty advisor for this program.

Gentry meets with students in order to prepare them for the competition at the beginning of the semester. While Millikin students usually do very well, Gentry said that this semester will require more intense preparation.

Normally, six to 10 students represent Millikin in the competition. Over twenty Millikin students will participate in the upcoming 2013 competition being held in Chicago, however, as Millikin is assigned to represent France; they will play a much larger role in this competition than in the past.

Professor of international relations Jennifer Giardina is excited to participate in Model UN for the first time. “Millikin got lucky in the drawing this year,” she said.

Millikin demonstrates its exemplary program during Model Illinois Government competitions as well.  Normally, around twenty students represent Millikin and do extremely well in many areas of the competition. Recently, Millikin has done particularly well in the Moot Court competition.

The most recent Moot Court competition in 2013 marked the sixth consecutive year that Millikin was named Moot Court Champion. Millikin was also named Moot Court Champion in 2005, and took top awards in both 2006 and 2007.

In addition to the various organizations offered to Millikin students, political science majors and minors receive education in different areas from a variety of sources.

In 20012, Millikin was visited by former congressmen William Roy, a democrat from Kansas, and Jack Buecher, a republican from Missouri, to discuss ways in which to make this generation more politically active. Students utilized their knowledge in a discussion with the congressmen, each of whom offered information and opinions from two very different perspectives.

This past year in 2013, Gentry organized a trip in which Millikin students attended the Rally to Restore Sanity and or Fear in Washington.

Since Albert Mill taught the first political science class at Millikin in the 1930’s, Millikin has given students an exemplary education. In 2013, Millikin’s political science program is ranked number 17 in Illinois, number 138 in the Midwest, and number 490 nationwide.