Millikin Health Corner: Papers, Finals, Exams – OH MY

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy of Ben White on Unsplash

Photo Courtesy of Ben White on Unsplash

Photo Courtesy of Ben White on Unsplash

If you’re feeling a little stressed as your semester is wrapping up, you aren’t alone!  It is normal for college students to experience stress as they make their way through college as it comes with many life changes.  
Most likely you’ve moved away from family, you’re experiencing life in a town you are unfamiliar with, and you haven’t quite found the balance between schoolwork and social life.  All these factors attribute to a higher-than-average stress level. Even without additional stress, coursework alone can contribute to feeling frazzled.
In January, after working as a cardiac critical care nurse for eight years, I decided to embark on the journey to obtain my Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) here at Millikin. I knew that the program would be rigorous and stressful.
However, I underestimated the effect the new-found stress would have on me.  I’ve always been a laid-back (maybe too laid-back at times) person and gave no thought to how the transition to a full-time student would affect my life. I was excited about the change.  
Once I started the DNP program, it took me a few months to realize how the stress was affecting me. I was often fatigued, had difficulty concentrating, couldn’t sleep, and eventually started having chest pain and other physical symptoms. After I stopped blaming all of these symptoms on the pure lack of sleep, I quickly realized that I needed to make a change in my life to help me de-stress and stay on track with my coursework.  
Knowing that I couldn’t let myself get too far off track I immediately scheduled an appointment with my family doctor, and while every day is not perfect, it is comforting to know that I have the tools I need to de-stress and the ability to keep myself on track.
While a certain level of stress can be beneficial and increase productivity, it is the overwhelming levels of stress that can be detrimental to your level of productivity and overall health.  Let’s look at some facts:
77% of people report having physical symptoms as a result of stress
Nearly 50% of people say losing sleep at night due to stress
50% or more report their top sign of stress as fatigue or anger and irritability
Eight in ten college students report feeling stressed “sometimes” or “frequently” in the last three months
Women tend to report feeling stressed more often (39%), compared to men (20%)
From 2010 to 2014 there was a 30% increase in college students seeking out counseling
If you are feeling overwhelmed, there are several steps you can take to help you de-stress. Consider getting organized. Scheduling time for yourself to study between activities can be beneficial in keeping yourself on track, as well as allowing yourself enough time to get your coursework finished, so you do not feel rushed or overwhelmed.

In addition, get regular exercise. It can help release tension, increase your mood improve or maintain your heatlh. At Millikin, there are a few different ways you can make this happen.
Millikin offers free access to the DISC for all students, providing a space for recreation and exercise. MU’s also located close to Fairview Park which provides access to a bike trail, which can be utilized in the spring or fall for running and walking, as well as tennis courts. But not only should you exercise regularly, you should also make sure you gain proper nutrition.
While eating healthy is not always the most convenient or cheapest option, you owe it to yourself to try and maintain a balanced diet. After you have a balanced diet, get out to see the world.

To avoid getting stressed, get involved. Joining an academic club, sorority/fraternity, or merely branching out and talking with other students on campus can be intimidating.  However, seeking out opportunities for socialization can help you make friends, connect with other students, and de-stress.
Lastly, while technology has become a staple in our daily lives for socialization, work, school, and everything in between, it can add to your stress. The use of everyday technology doesn’t allow students to take a break. Unplug. Put your phone on airplane mode or do not disturb and give yourself a break even if it is just for 30 minutes.
I promise your friends, family, and Tinder will all still be waiting when you return.  
Talking to a counselor is another excellent option when you are feeling overwhelmed, and Millikin University offers counseling for free to its students.  If you feel you need to speak to someone, you can contact the Millikin/DMH Health Clinic at the corner of Fairview Ave and Wood St by calling 217-424-6277.