Millikin nursing department celebrates ‘Legacy of the Lamp’

Millikin’s School of Nursing recently celebrated a tradition called Legacy of the Lamp.

“There will be approximately 48 juniors that will receive a lamp,” said Lori Gilbert, Administrative Assistant of the School of Nursing, who organizes the event. “It’s encouragement for the junior class.”

Juniors were honored at this ceremony due to the fact that they have completed their first clinicals.

“It’s difficult and not everybody makes it that far,” said Karla Luxner, Undergraduate Chair for the School of Nursing. “Once they’ve done that they have a better understanding of what the profession of nursing is.”

A lamp is a worldwide symbol in nursing that started at its origin. Florence Nightingale, founder of modern nursing, was referred to as “The Lady with the Lamp” since she often made rounds at night during the Crimean war.

Every year Legacy of the Lamp is on the Friday of Homecoming week, but is prepared for well in advanced.  Lamps are ordered in the summertime to make sure they are in pristine shape come October.

“The last few years we’ve had it over at Westminster Presbyterian Church,” Gilbert said. A reception takes place first with cake and drinks with the ceremony to follow.

“Dr. Booker will get up and give a welcome. Kind of give a little thing on the tradition of it, why we do it, what it’s for,” Gilbert said.

Families are invited to partake in the tradition and save the dates are sent to ensure that they were there. “It’s pretty short and sweet,” Gilbert said.

Students aren’t the only ones receiving an award.  An alumnus of the year is presented with one as well.

“The faculty votes on it. They also submit the names,” said Kim Wenthe, Administrative Assistant for the School of Nursing.

This year Carol Dodson, MSN, RN, CNL was chosen.  She is now the Nurse Executive at St. Mary’s Hospital.

“We’re very proud of her,” Luxnor said. After that award is given the alumnus will normally give motivation to the students, once again encouraging them.