Fall Family Weekend

fall family weekend banner
www.millikin.edu

Millikin students have been at school for a little over three weeks now. During this time, most students haven’t seen their family since coming to school – especially the First Years. For this reason, every year Millikin hosts an event called Fall Family Weekend.

Fall Family Weekend allows families to come to Decatur to see their students here on Millikin’s campus. MU provides many activities on campus for the families to participate in on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This year, Fall Family Weekend will take place Sept. 20-22.

On Friday Sept. 20 at 6:00 pm there will be a Choral Concertino at First United Methodist Church, which includes the performances of four of the Millikin Choirs. This performance includes the two ensembles that most freshmen are a part of, Millikin Men and Millikin Women. At 8:00 pm, there will be a showing of Monsters University on the Quad. Admission is free and popcorn and soda will be provided. If raining, the movie will be shown in LRTUC. Also during this time, the observatory will be open for star gazing.

From 11:00 am to 1:00 pm on Saturday Sept. 21, the UCB Festival will be going on in the arrival court. At the festival there will be the Scovil petting zoo, live music and free food. Thanks to the Alumni Association as well as many co-sponsors from organizations on campus, there will also be games and activities for students and families to take part in.

Along with the festival, on Saturday there will be other activities such as an Alumni Association Fundraiser lunch, Fraternity/Sorority Life Excursion, Millikin Women’s and Men’s soccer games, a showing of “The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks” and the Collage Concert. To finish off the weekend, there will be a brunch in Wornick Dining Hall.

One new activity that has been added to the schedule this year is glow-in-the-dark mini golf. This 18 hole course is free for students and families that choose to participate. Students can participate in the mini golfing at 9:00 pm on Saturday in LRTUC.

Since Fall Family Weekend was such a success last year, this year there was an increase in cosponsors which allowed for more activities to happen this year.

“It makes the weekend a lot more fun having more involvement from students,” Ashlee Colby, the Special Events Chair, said.

Fall Family Weekend is made such a success with the help of UCB advisor Molly Berry, Alicia Gibert, the co-sponsors and everyone in UCB. A lot of work was put into this weekend, so if students are on campus the weekend of Sept. 20-22 and are looking for something to do, they should go have some fun at the events available for Fall Family Weekend.