Professor Spotlight: Dr. Boehmer

This Professor Spotlight features Dr. Boehmer from the education department. Dr. Boehmer graduated from North Central College and served in the education field for numerous years. Upon graduating from North Central, he served in the Peace Corps in Colombia. He then returned to teach biology and algebra in the suburbs of Chicago. Dr. Boehmer completed his master and doctorate degrees at the University of Illinois. Dr. Boehmer once taught middle school science in Puerto Rico and inner city Los Angeles.

While at Millikin, Dr. Boehmer teaches an assortment of classes in the education department. These classes include Curriculum Analysis and Assessment, Secondary Methods (Science),
Education Senior Seminar and other education related classes.

As great a teacher as Dr. Boehmer is, he has more great qualities. According to senior Mathematics Education major Kelsey Cosley, “He is one of those teachers who truly cares about us as individuals and wants to see us succeed.” Every student wants their teacher to care about their success and well-being and Dr. Boehmer ensures that for his students. Another great quality is that every time Dr. Boehmer holds a class, he always asks how his students are doing and how he can help. His presentation of materials is very simplistic and easy to grasp as an education major. In the end, he tells it as it is and helps education majors grasp the major concepts of what they need to understand and achieve as they pursue their dreams. A final great aspect to Dr. Boehmer’s classes is experience learning. Not only does Dr. Boehmer present educational material in a very easy to understand way, but he also helps by relating many concepts and ideas to experiences he has gone through or learned from another professional. This helps immensely as the experiences aid beginning teachers relate more to the world of education. As an education major, there are many internship experiences that the department set for requirements for graduation, but extra advice always helps.

Overall, Dr. Boehmer is one of those professors that students are talking about after class in a good way. He cares about their individual success and goes above and beyond to ensure they get the material they need and to help them no matter what. Thanks to Dr. Boehmer, the education students are well on their way to becoming exceptional teachers in the field.