The perks of being awesomesauce

We can’t all be happy all the time. There’s always going to be a day or days when we feel less than perfect. This is the time of the semester when even the most strong-willed student can feel overwhelmed. Don’t worry. That feeling is normal. Thankfully, there are ways to stop feeling so overwhelmed and start feeling awesomesauce again.

It all started on a seemingly normal weekend. I got off work feeling all right, although I was tired from doing so much. I went shopping, thinking a little retail therapy would be helpful. It was…at least at first. I ran out of steam and got frustrated. A cheesy movie and equally cheesy pizza also turned out to be a temporary solution. I went to bed feeling terrible. When I woke up, I felt better. Slightly. On a whim, I went to a local thrift store, and found a little book that changed everything. It was a simple book, listing things that made the author happy.

This little book made me realize something important. I had been wasting a lot of my time getting bent out of shape over stupid, petty things. That’s not good. I’m pretty sure it isn’t healthy either. What I should instead be doing is taking all of life’s happy little things into account. I haven’t made a physical list of things to smile about, but as I read the book, I realized the author and I could be happy about many similar things.

Like I said, we all get upset from time to time. One way to deal with that is to let it get the best of us. I’ve done that more times than I care to publicly admit, and don’t recommend it as a solution. Another method is to take a moment to sit and reflect. Think about positive things. These positive things can be good aspects of your own personal life, or just little random things that make you smile. You can write them down if you would like, if you need a physical reminder at a later date. The important thing is that you think positively rather than negatively. Realizing that there are amazing things in your life goes a LONG way towards making yourself feel
better.

Some people may harbor the opinion that the autumn and winter are dull, dreary, and gloomy months. I think so too at times. I mean, compared to spring and summer, these seasons can be downright depressing. Look at it a different way, though. Autumn brings with it cooler temperatures and the beauty of changing leaves. There’re bonfires, plenty of football games (if that’s to your liking), and, of
course, Halloween. Then there’s the glory of winter. With winter comes the first snowfalls, the holiday season, and, the annual favorite of most students, winter break. See what I mean? Seeing the beauty in little things can go a long way towards improving one’s spirits. The next time you feel upset, sad, or even just a little bit down, try thinking positive. Trust me. It just might work. This simple act will work wonders. You’ll come back feeling better than ever. And of course, feeling better is always awesomesauce.