First dates that won’t break the bank

So you finally got the courage to ask that cute guy or girl out on a date and what’s more, they said yes! Great! But, you’re a broke college student, so now what?

Fear not, brave daters, there are plenty of date options for the less-than-wealthy.

Traditional: There’s a lot to be said for the faithful fall-back dinner and a movie and some of that talk ought to be about how easy it is to do on the cheap. For example, instead of choosing the classiest restaurant you know, try something a little less high-end and don’t fear being unimpressive. Steak-n-Shake is a great option, with several locations locally. It’s a sit-down place where you and your date will be waited on, so you maintain some of that formal dinner feel, but you can order off the $4 menu and if you go between 2 and 4 (either a.m. or p.m. depending on your dating habits) you can get milk shakes and other drinks at half price!

Going during the afternoon happy hour can help you reach your movie theater destination in a timely fashion as well, as the Carmike Theaters in Mt. Zion and Forsyth offer “Super Bargain Matinee” showtimes from 4-5:30 p.m, which cost a grand total of $5.50. The Steak-n-Shake in Mt. Zion is even in the same plaza as the Mt. Zion movie theater.

Maybe that’s still a bit out of budget, or too far away for those of us more limited in the transportation department. In that case, pay attention to when movies get shown on the quad and go to those for free! Or substitute a movie for a show at Kirkland, particularly if the weather’s bad. As students we can all go to Kirkland shows for free, just remember to get your tickets at least two hours in advance. As for food, take a walk to McDonalds—there’s no shame in eating off the dollar menu and the walk together will be a good opportunity to talk and get to know each other. If McDonalds isn’t for you, walk a little farther. In the Fairview Plaza by Kroger, there’s a great Chinese food restaurant called First Wok with prices as good as the food is.

Non-traditional: Maybe dinner and a movie aren’t for you. In that case, why not try serving at a soup kitchen on your first date? There are plenty in the area and they can always use extra hands. It’s a completely free experience, during which you might even get fed yourself as a show of gratitude. As my mother pointed out, the pressure for conversation with this someone you like gets lessened
significantly, too. You also get to see how that person is around other people, how they treat those less fortunate than themselves, and if they are even willing and enthusiastic about serving others in the first place.

Wildcards (i.e. I took this to Facebook): My friend Ethan McIntyre had several seasonal suggestions, including decoration shopping and ice skating for the colder months. The Decatur Civic Center has an ice skating rink, admission to which is only $6 with skate rentals being only $2. Decoration shopping is free, as long as you don’t buy anything. Ethan suggests closing the date with hot chocolate and I second that notion wholeheartedly.

Recent Millikin graduate Jessica Knackstedt suggests bowling and other recent graduates Brandi Bramlett and Charlie Huth recommend enjoying nature together. Brandi brings up Allerton, a park in nearby Monticello marked by the eccentricities of its original owner, including randomly placed statues and an outdoor stadium of sorts, among other things. Or you can stick closer to home, with our very own Fairview Park. Fairview boasts bike trails which a) are beautiful and b) can take you all the way to Rock Springs Conservation Area and Nature Center, which boasts a theater, a museum, an arts center, and aquariums to mention just a few things. Be sure to plan an all day outing if you’d like to go to Rocks Springs, however, as the trip takes a bit of time.

These are only a few ideas of the many fun, inexpensive first dates you can have. Get creative, do a little googling, and you’ll find that it’s not so hard to show that guy or girl a good time without spending all of next week’s food money.