The Perks of Being Awesomesauce

Early this year, I had a discussion with two friends. One, who lived in New York, was planning on coming to Illinois for the Taste of Chicago. Since my other friend and I both lived in-state, she wanted to know if we could all meet up. The plan sparked that day. I wanted to go, but wasn’t sure whether I’d be able to. Thankfully everything worked out perfectly. On an early morning in mid-July I got on a train and embarked on what I was sure would be a grand adventure.

By the end of the day I wasn’t disappointed. My friends and I hung out and had an amazing time. We sampled the food vendors, visited relatives, and enjoyed cupcakes. We even wandered down through a marina and goofed around at Millennium Park. A combined total of almost 600 pictures were taken throughout the day. Most importantly, we bonded and had a blast. I say that’s the most important thing because everyone needs to take a break and have fun from time to time. Working and making money is essential but life is not solely about earning income.

You’ve all heard that saying about all work and no play, right? Well, that saying is true. I was feeling overwhelmed in the days leading up to my Chicago trip. I needed a little escape, and thankfully, I had the opportunity to take one. I strongly recommend that everyone do the same from time to time. No, I’m NOT saying you should all leave town and go to Chicago for a day. (Note: If you want to and have the means to do so, go right ahead!) I am saying that you need to make time to relax, hang out with friends and just have fun.

There are an endless variety of ways to do this. Go to a movie. Head to some local eatery, whichever one suits your tastes and budget. Have a shopping day, be it at the mall or downtown. Spending money isn’t necessary. Millikin’s campus holds all kinds of events, ranging from athletic to multicultural and everything in between. Those “What’s Happening on Campus” emails are sent every week for a reason. If you see something that interests you, by all means go check it out! You could pay a visit to the game room. You could even just get a group of friends together, order pizzas, and watch movies all night. The choice is yours, and only limited by imagination and budget.

I would say the best time to take a break is right after you finish a big project or assignment. That’ll give your mind and body time to recharge for future assignments. Of course, this is your decision, just like where you go and what you decide to do. Do what you want to do, at a time that works best for you. Don’t think about other commitments. Focus instead on relaxing. Relaxing is awesomesauce, especially when it gives you the chance to just hang out with your friends. Tempted yet? Great!

We have reached the busy part of the semester. No matter how busy you get, make sure to have fun. Above all else, never forget that you are awesomesauce!