Alum exceeds in life beyond Millikin

Andrew Evangelista graduated from Millikin University in 2012 with a degree in vocal music education and has been quite successful. After graduation, he was asked to play piano and direct the jazz choir at Lincoln Way North High School in Frankfort, Illinois. Most recently, he has landed a job as the head choral director at Johnsburg High School in Johnsburg, Illinois. “I’ve had to do a lot of acclimating between the two schools,” said Evangelista, “but things have been going great.”

When asked what he loved about Millikin, he couldn’t narrow it down to just one thing. He had three key components that factored into the pride he feels for Millikin. “Definitely the friendships. I still talk with a bunch of Millikin people. When we see each other, which isn’t very often, it’s like nothing changed. We can just pick up where we left off.”

Evangelista was heavily involved in the music department here at Millikin, including being a member of the elite vocal jazz group One Voice. “I loved how accessible the facilities were. You could do what you needed to do, when you needed to do it. PMC will always be open for those with swipe access- it’s great.” Evangelista’s final favorite aspect of Millikin was the faculty. “They were so cool. So supportive. I’ll always remember that.”

Finally, when asked what he learned from Millikin, it wasn’t all about education. “Aside from teaching music, I learned how to accept myself. That was really hard for me before college. I knew I wasn’t a bad person, but I wasn’t able to see myself as a good person. I didn’t know what I had to offer to other people until I got to Millikin.”