The Perks of Being Awesomesauce

Everybody has some sort of motivation pushing them through life. Consider your decision to go through college. Maybe you’re getting a higher education to make your parents proud; to bring honor to the family name. You could be studying in order to obtain the career of your dreams. Perhaps you’re expanding your horizons in an attempt to improve your life as well as the lives of those around you. Each individual reason motivates us, pushing us to be our very best at all times. That’s pretty awesomesauce.

But what about those times when those reasons don’t feel like they’re strong enough? We all have times when we’re feeling down. These times can range from small, seemingly insignificant frustrations, to feelings of downright inadequacy. Personal tragedies and other issues can contribute to this feeling and make it even worse. Unfortunately so can other people. The sad truth is that some folks just enjoy making other people miserable, for whatever reason. If somebody tries telling you that you’re useless, a small part of your brain might be tempted to believe it.

Don’t. Don’t believe them. No matter what anyone says, however influential that person is or simply thinks they are, they’re absolutely full of it in this case. Nobody on this planet is useless. We are all worthwhile, every last one of us. More importantly, we all have something to live for, a reason we were put on this planet. Those reasons may not always be crystal clear to us at all times but that’s perfectly fine. Life isn’t meant to be easy. It IS life, after all.

Sometimes, though, we all need more motivation. We all need an extra little (or perhaps not-so-little) push to keep fighting. To start you off, try the following exercise. Think about the person you were when you were younger, even if it was just before you started your college experience; the specific age is irrelevant. Think about that person for a few moments, reflecting on who you were back then. Now, take a good long look at who you are today. Odds are, you will have gone through a LOT. Yet despite all obstacles you faced, you have emerged more or less victorious. You’re a stronger person thanks to all you have gone through. You’ve come a long way, and that is definitely awesomesauce.

That shy little underclassman you may have been back then helped shape you into who you are. Another way to think of it is like this: you were once a meek caterpillar. Life’s circumstances and situations have built up a sort of cocoon around you. In time, that same cocoon will break away, and reveal your inner butterfly.  Just give yourself time, and keep in mind that we’re all different. We’ll all develop and change at different rates. Don’t rush yourself. Be patient and realize that no matter how rough things are, for whatever reason, they will not always be rough. All the trials and troubles will fade into the wind. In the end, you will be stronger. And that, dear readers, is pretty awesomesauce.