A witness to Boston’s terror

On April 15, two bombs exploded at the 2013 Boston Marathon injuring more than 170 and killing three people. Among those who witnessed the chaos in Boston was senior Kendall Robinson. She has agreed to talk to the Decaturian about her experience.

An avid runner, Robison is no stranger to marathons. On this occasion she accompanied her fiancé, Jordan Trump 10’, to Boston for him to compete in the Marathon. Fortunately, he finished about 90 minutes before the bombs went off, so when the explosions occurred, the pair was already back at their hotel in Brookline two miles from the finish line. This does not, however, mean that they were not impacted by the event.

When asked about her initial reaction, Robison said that it was “disbelief at first.”

“I didn’t know if it was just a small explosion from some sort of stupid prank,” she said. But when the news reported that people were hurt and victims were losing limbs, it set in that this was not only an emergency, but also a tragedy.

“I started feeling panicked soon after that. I knew Jordan was safe, but I also knew that we had friends who were still running and should be close to the finish.”

Fortunately, the use of social media made it possible to determine that their friends were unharmed. Those still in the marathon were being stopped less than a mile from the finish line. At the same time, many runners continued their route along the course, which ran directly in front of the hotel.

“We cheered for the runners, knowing that they needed the support a lot, but at the same time, we knew that they wouldn’t be allowed to cross the finish line at Boylston Street. Cheering for the runners made everything okay for a few minutes.”

The sorrow that would soon grip the city, though, would last much longer than a few minutes.  The enthusiasm and sense of accomplishment that accompany a marathon would be completely stripped away. Despite many people still wearing their heat sheets and medals, there would be no congratulations or bragging. Instead, there would only be grief and sadness. Even after this passed, Robison said, “the city was haunted by an eerie feeling.”

It is easy to think that such an experience would make a person reluctant to participate in another large civic event, but that is not the case for Robinson. She admits that this tragedy has affected her resolve to run, but not in a negative manner.

“I will always run marathons. I am running the Illinois Marathon on April 27, ready to qualify for Boston so we can return to see the city stronger than ever next year.  I do think about all the times I have waited at the finish line of a race for Jordan, or my mom, or my friends. I think even more about all the times they have waited right next to the finish, cheering for me. But what happened at the Boston Marathon won’t change me or my ways. I doubt it will change many runners at all.  After all, marathon runners are known for our perseverance.”

It is that perseverance which will aid a grieving nation in recovery. In the meantime, we wish Kendall the best of luck and send our sincere condolences to Boston, the victims and their families.