The Mix-Pack: Shiner beers shine with flavor and complexity

As an admitted lover of Spoetzl Brewery’s Shiner Bock out of Shiner, TX, seeing six different Shiner beers in the Mix Pack section practically made my evening. The Shiner record of classics absolutely did not disappoint either. This series of full-bodied beers, though all different, are intensely flavorful, and with such a selection, there’s a different beer for every occasion. Slainte!

shinerbock

Shiner Bock
ABV: 4.4%
Beginning with the classic, Spoetzl’s ruddy hued Bock is a smooth, caramel delight. The bright carbonation balances the syrupy sweetness of every sip. Being a sucker for amber beers, this Shiner favorite is a must-have if I’m in the mood to treat myself on a budget. It doesn’t unnecessarily fill you up with richness, but rather is a full-bodied session beer, meaning I can drink more than one in a single sitting. It tastes like the excitement we all feel when we get to cook BBQ on the grill for the first time of the season. This would easily complement BBQ, homemade pizza or grown-up mac ‘n cheese. Shiner Bock is a joy-filled beer for comfort food.

Shiner Blonde
ABV: 4.4%
Now, acknowledging the fact that this golden brew was on the list last issue, the context is completely different. Instead of looking at this as a un-beer beer, one to introduce craft brew neophytes to the complexity of a good brew, I tasted it this week as one page in the catalogue of expertly brewed Shiner beers. Blonde has a very pronounced wheat smell and taste that gives it a smooth earthiness. It’s bright and flavorful, something most college kids aren’t used to with pale ales (usually sipping on Keystone or Natty) and is in keeping with the Shiner credo of downright great tasting brews. This is a great beer on which to start the weekend. Come home late Friday afternoon, a long week behind you, and pop open this light feeling but rich tasting brew and take a much deserved rest.

Shiner Hefeweizen
ABV: 5.4%
Though the Blonde and the Hefe are both light beers, they are worlds apart in appearance and taste. This Hefeweizen is brewed with clover honey and orange and lemon peels, giving it a cloudy look and a surprising taste. The citrus presence is dominant in the initial sip, but on the very back end of the flavor is a slight kick. However, where citrus and spice might create an undesirable bitterness, the clover honey shows up to save the day. Giving it a smooth texture all the way through, the honey provides the necessary sweetness that makes the Hefe incredibly enjoyable. With all the intensity of flavor, this is definitely a sipping beer rather than a session beer. I would almost call this a sundress beer, a brew that I could drink at a garden party in a flowy, floral number.

shinerkosmos

Shiner Kosmos Reserve
ABV: 4.98%
This special, limited-time brew is dedicated to the founder of Spoetzl Brewery, Kosmos Spoetzl, a Bavarian brewmaster who traveled the world with his talents before settling into Shiner, TX. Pouring a clear golden color with a hint of caramel orange, this brew has an extremely hoppy aroma and lives up to that in taste. The hops give it a strong bitterness but also an earthy tone that gives it a complex and enjoyable taste. If you’re not used to the multitude of flavors in hoppy beers, this brew probably shouldn’t be the first on your list to try. This is a thick and complex lager, tasting sweeter with every swig, and definitely worthy of the Spoetzl name. It’s a very woodsy brew perfect for a night by a campfire and quite a few s’mores.

shinerpricklypear

Shiner Prickly Pear
ABV: 4.9%
Brewed with the fruit of the prickly pear cactus, native to the Shiner, TX area, this is a strangely fruity but also earthy beer. Reminiscent of Belgian style ale, this is a saccharine sweet lager that’s smooth from start to finish. The light carbonation that carries through the sip, leaves a bitter sweetness that brings the fruitiness out. The almost berry-like taste mixes with the richness of the malts makes this specialty brew one for fresh foods and a sunny day. It’s definitely a beer that needs to be paired with a garden-fresh dish to avoid being overwhelmed by its ever-present sweetness.

shinerblack

Shiner Bohemian Black Lager
ABV: 4.9%
This black brew is another specialty inspired by owner Kosmos Spoetzl. Pouring a dark brown with a slight hint of garnet, this is a great looking beer that promises to yield as complex a flavor as color. It has a strong nutty coffee taste which gives it an earthy quality. Even with all these different flavors mixing together, it is surprisingly smooth with little carbonation. Bohemian Black lives up to the connotation of its name. It’s a very artistic brew, with brushstrokes of flavors blending together to make a rich painting of malted nutty chocolate taste. This is a lovely evening beer to enjoy with dessert.

So next time you’re looking for a full-flavored brew, consider one from the Shiner family. Drink well, drink and live!