Summer program: Urbania, Italy

Summer program: Urbania, Italy

Have you ever dreamed of visiting another country? Maybe you’ve thought about other cultures and what it might be like outside the U.S. If only for the amazing classes offered that you could take to fulfill some credits you need to graduate, do consider Urbania, Italy.

The deadline is fast approaching (March 1st for the $500 deposit) and I know for many it’s hard to imagine finding the means to make it feasible, but this is something you must look into.  I and a number of students journeyed there this last summer and with their feedback I have come up with this list:

Top 5 Reasons to Write the Check
For many it’s all about the money you’ll spend, but let us tell you now, this is one check you won’t regret giving Millikin.

1. A Whole New World – It’s not a carpet ride but when you step off that plane and see the post card perfect view from all angles you’ll feel like you’re walking on air. From the mountain ranges to the historic sites, there isn’t a bad view in Italy.
  2. A Warm Welcome – Right from the beginning Urbania welcomes you with open arms. Lovely meals, happy faces, and eager locals make the transition from home to Italy smooth and secure. They are all very pleased to have you and love when you are open, accepting, and ready to embrace their culture.
  3. A Cultural Experience – Not only is the landscape a change of pace in Italy, but also the culture. Time itself slows down and changes all together. They have many ways that are nothing like our own here in the United States. It can be frustrating but also releasing and relieving.
  4. The Incredible Courses – If you haven’t checked out an information session or talked to the staff involved ( B. J. Warren & Andy Heise) or picked up a brochure you definitely must. There are many amazing classes waiting to be filled. The target various majors and offer a great variety of credits. This isn’t only for art and music students.  Have you put off the science credits you need to graduate? What better way to get them than studying birds in Italy. Looking for a few business courses that can help you in the future? Study Marketing Principals and Practices with Dr. Timble in Italy. There are so many possibilities waiting for you.
  5. Fantastic Trips – Part of the package is a number of planed trips that will take you to places like Verona, Venice, Florence and Milan. The scheduled tours through cities and historical areas are led by knowledgeable guides. You would be walking through castles, admiring classic art work, exploring a foreign market, and introducing yourself to the wonders of the Italian culture.

Now, if you still aren’t convinced, are some comments from a few of last year’s participants.

“I’m urging you to act on it and enroll in the program.  No, wait… I COMMAND YOU TO…  okay, so maybe I’m out of bounds a bit, but here’s the thing: Millikin has developed a really productive relationship with the cultural center Centro Studi Italiani in Urbania, Italy.  This relationship has resulted in one the most outstanding study abroad experiences you could possibly imagine… Urbania is a very old and beautiful town of 8,000 people.  Because in part of the high regard in which Centro is held by the residents, and because the Italians are a lovely people to begin with, you will feel welcome there.  It’s an extremely safe town as well and everything you will need is within walking distance.”
–    Dr. Dave Burdick, Professor at Millikin University

“Mi manca l’Italia! (I miss Italy) I absolutely can not wait to go again. Everyone should come and experience this at least once.”
–    Steph Helfgott,  Senior at Millikin University

It really is a life changing experience and I hope many of you take the chance and go on an epic journey this summer.
Ciao!