Going Vegan: A grown-up grilled cheese

grilledcheeseMargaret Eby

As much as I love a classic grilled cheese,–copious amounts of American cheese melted within two perfectly toasted slices of Wonder Bread and plenty of ketchup to dip it in–as I grow up, I’ve found it less satisfying to my taste buds and health needs. So, when I moved off campus and began buying groceries for myself, I went on a great quest for amped-up grilled cheeses that pack a great punch of taste, but also provide enough of a protein and energy boost for my active lifestyle.

As it turns out, there are about a million recipes for different grown up grilled cheese sandwiches, and I’m not just talking about Panera’s little fancy cheese and bacon combo. I’m talking apple, kale and cheddar cheese with a rosemary marmalade, a jalapeno popper with bacon grilled cheese, and even some that add fruit—brie, pear and Nutella or fontina, blackberries and basil. One, however, takes the cake… Or rather, the cheese, with terrific taste and satisfying nutrition. Based on a recipe I found on a blog called Grilled Cheese Social, my avocado, roasted red pepper and goat grilled cheese will blow you away. Prepare yourself for a grown-up treat still reminiscent of those afternoons of biking around the neighborhood for hours, then coming home to the cheesy goodness of childhood.

Ingredients

• 2 slices of whole wheat bread (or at least the heartiest bread you can find)
  • 1/2 small avocado, sliced
  • 1 jar of roasted red pepper (I found mine at Ralph’s by Jimmy John’s)
  • about 3 tbsp of crumbled goat cheese
  • for the meat lovers out there, if you must add meat, I would definitely suggest grilled turkey because the mildness of taste will complement and not overwhelm the multitude of other flavors
  • cooking spray or olive oil to avoid a burnt-to-the-griddle disaster

1. On both slices of bread, lay the goat cheese crumble out evenly. And, when it gets down to it, if 3 tablespoons doesn’t seem like enough, go ahead and pile it on. Do remember, however, that goat cheese is strong, and extremely creamy in texture, so too much can be overwhelming. I’d say, no more than half the package.
  2. Line up the sliced avocado on one bread slice, then slice up the pepper lengthwise and arrange it on the other slice. If you’re adding turkey, putting it under the pepper would be your best bet. Press the ingredient into the goat cheese both to spread the goat cheese a little and stick the ingredients together.
  3. Spray or oil up your griddle, and turn it to medium high heat. Place the two slices on there, but don’t lie on top of the other. Simply lay them side by side and allow them to cook simultaneously.
  4. After three or so minutes, the cheese should be melty and the bread delightfully toasty. You can take them off the griddle and with great dexterity and concentration, join the two halves to make one grand sandwich.

Dig in, and remember, you’re never too old for a grilled cheese sandwich!
Source: http://www.grilledcheesesocial.com/2011/01/thin-me-up-and-watch-me-go.html