Changes within choir

Before this school year, Millikin University had five major choir ensembles. These five choirs were Millikin Men, Millikin Women, University Women, Chamber Chorale and University Choir. Last year, Millikin Men was conducted by Ted Hesse, Millikin Women was conducted by Beth Holmes, University Women was conducted by Dr. Matt Leese, Chamber Chorale was conducted by Dr. Guy Forbes and University Choir was conducted by Dr. Brad Holmes.

Millikin Women was a freshmen women’s choir. University Women was an upperclassmen women’s choir. This year, Dr. Holmes has decided that University Women and Millikin Women would combine, so that freshmen and upperclass women would sing together.

University Choir’s numbers are slightly smaller this year than they have been in past years. Chamber Chorale is now called Collegiate Chorale. The name has changed because the word “chamber” usually denotes a smaller group of musicians.

In the past, freshmen have been able to be a part of Chamber Chorale. These particular freshmen would be a part of both Millikin Men or Women and Chamber Chorale. This year, freshmen will not be allowed to be in both. This means that the Millikin choir program needs more men then it has had in the past.

The most exciting news of all of the changes is definitely that Dr. Holmes has found a way to let this year’s Millikin Men and Millikin Women choirs combine so that both choirs will get the chance to sing in a mixed choir. Millikin Men and Millikin Women have a combined rehearsal every week this year on Wednesdays at 4:00.

Dr. Holmes will continue to conduct University Choir. Dr. Forbes will conduct Collegiate Chorale. Mike Englehart will conduct Millikin Men. Beth Holmes will conduct Millikin Women. The choral faculty is excited for this year’s choir program. At the end of the email Dr Holmes sent out to the students in choir, he said, “I look forward to seeing (hearing) you take Millikin choirs to the next level.”